I've read a few blogs lately about when people become grown ups. Or when we feel grown up. Some news story said people (in the US) consider themselves to be adults when they are 26. But, I kind of think being an adult and feeling grown up sometimes happen at different times.
With my Mom in the hospital, I decided to finally write this post about things my Mom always does so well, and that I always expected I would be able to do when I was grown up. Apparently I am not yet grown up, as my proficiency is no where near Mom's.
First, Mom can take a whole handful of silverware and wash them like she is dusting off a bunch of flowers and then, still holding the whole handful, rinse them and put them in the drainer. I thought a magical day would come when I could do this. But, no. I am still a one fork, one spoon at a time woman. And this is NOT for lack of practice as I have almost NEVER had a dishwasher in my adult life.
Secondly, Mom, who is shorter than I am, can fold a double (probably does well with the queen they use now too) fitted sheet so it looks as smooth and compact as a flat sheet. All by herself. I have tried and tried and tried. Well, that is not quite right. We have so little storage here that I just own one fitted sheet. It goes from the bed to the washer to the balcony to be hung out and back on the bed. I can make hospital corners, though, if needed!
Thirdly, I have great memories of sitting on Mom's (well, she was probably still Mama back then) lap and leaning my head upon her ample endowments and rocking in Grandma's old rocker. I always figured you had to be amply endowed to be a Mom and remember being really shocked seeing a woman who was a Mom at the river one summer. How could SHE be a Mom??? Well, I never received my Mother's endowments, so Jun substitutes with a dingy and grimy Kitty-chan pillow. But, Jun is happy, and will probably insist that her kids have a Kitty-chan pillow too.
Finally, my Mom can also paint and wallpaper very very well. I can't. I have tried the paint and, apparently being able to paint is not hereditary. I am good at recruiting my Mom to come and paint, however. She has made quite long trips across the US to paint for me! Wallpapering, is a little better. But, I have almost never done it, so have not had time to fail miserably at it either.
Well, this post could go on and on. But, I wonder, what does/did your Mom do that YOU always expected you'd be able to do when you "grew up" that you STILL can't do?

1 comment:
Love your post, Kim. I don't know if I will ever be a grown up either. Mom's are so good at what they do. I am praying for your mom, friend! Keep us posted.
Post a Comment