Well, the saga continues.
Daddy got home from work last night after Jun had been in bed for a few hours. When I asked how his day was, he said he had been tired and grumpy all day. He had thought about Jun's "I'm tired" all day and gotten madder and madder.
Well, tired, I understand, but mad? So, I asked again.
In his family he was NEVER allowed to tell his grandmother or parents that he was tired. It was forbidden and incredibly rude.
Then, I said, "I say, 'I'm tired' all the time."
He said, "I know, but you are American."
"Well," I said. "What about Junnie?"
"She's Japanese!" he said.
"Her outside is Japanese, but inside her heart she has plenty of American in her!" I said. "After all, her mother who spends 24/7 with her is AMERICAN!"
"Yes, well..." he said.
"Your family is a little...off, don't you think?" I said.
"Hmmm." he said.
So, internet readers, please help me out! If you are Japanese or have a Japanese friend or family member, please ask them if a child using the word "tsukareta" when talking to their elders is rude or not. LOL (laugh out loud!)

6 comments:
hm. well, i'll have to ask yoshi, but it does seem rather...harsh. almost like that family's rule. but i'm american and only really know my husband's family (and not well, to be honest), so i'll ask him and let you know. :)
Hi Kim :)
In my family, it is NOT rude for a 2-year-old girl to say "tsukareta" to elders. My niece sometimes says " AOI chan( her name) , tsukareta~". and we think it is so cute!
AFAIK...most Japanese people see it is kawaii rather than rude.
☆Keiko☆
i asked yoshi and he said he didn't have that growing up. but that's just one example (so far). good luck!
Dear Illahee and Keiko, thanks so much for your comments. Friends I talked to around here were also surprised at Daddy's reaction. So, I have concluded two things. Daddy's family was pretty strict, and Daddy needs a summer vacation!
The reaction does seem a bit strong- DS1 often says it and my DH doesn't have a strong reaction to it. That said- I do realize that him often saying "I'm tired" is a reflection of how often I say it. I sometimes cringe because I can't ever remember DH saying it- so this is where I think there is truth to what your DH says. It probably has alot to do with the idea of "gaman"- persevere with no complaints. I tell myself to not complain about tiredness so much because it probably mentally makes me more tired than I already am but always forget because I get so tired *lol*...*sigh*
Hi Lily! Thanks for your input. Yes, my DH rarely complains either. It is the stoic samurai whatever. I am so glad he doesn't require it of me. But, I'm sure, as you said too, that my tiredness wears off on the others in the family.
Post a Comment