Wahhhhhh! This was my cry after last week's Toddler's class. Why? Because of the lack of "wa" in the group.
Let me try to explain "wa". Entire books have been written on the topic. Not that I've ever finished one, but...
I was first introduced to "wa" when I came to Saitama prefecture to teach. I am sure I encountered it before, when living in different parts of Japan, but just never REALIZED it.
I figured each English class was made up of random people who were of the same level of English, and who came from different jobs, families, etc., and who were put together just for an English class.
Well, as true as that may be, "wa" is formed or not formed in each class. The classes what have "wa" have a naturally emerging leader. The classes that have "wa" last a long long time. People don't quit, even if they don't "need" the class anymore. They are happy to come where there is "wa" once a week.
The first thing to do is recognize the leader and build a good relationship with that person. That person is naturally building relationships with others - that they choose - from the class. However, the whole class may not be part of the "wa". Once "wa" is established, it is so so very hard to add new people to these classes. I tried to blend two classes of the same level once. Alalalalala! What a mess!
So, taking us back to my Toddler's class. We have Mothers and Toddlers from my park friends. From my friend's friends. And one of her friends's friends. Anyway, we have lots of already established "wa"s all trying to be mixed up in one class which I had hoped would establish its own "wa". Thus, my wahhhhhh!
But, yesterday, one of the natural leaders was there. And our little "wa"s started to link up. Maybe we will end up with a chain of "wa"s rather than one big circle, but...that is better than a room of bouncing balls.

No comments:
Post a Comment