Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Bananas GONE!

The new Banana Diet has changed our fruit choices! Bananas used to be 4 or so for 100 yen ($1). The other day I stopped by the yaoya (produce shop), and they were up to 179 yen.

I caught the Banana Diet lady on the news the other night. She basically wants people who don't eat breakfast to start with something easy - like a banana. She recommends mashing up a banana and putting it on top of a bowl of cornflakes and adding milk. The people in the studio were so amazed at this idea. It was so yummy! I grew up with bananas on cereal, so was amazed that they were amazed, but...

When we went to the IL's this weekend, Obaachan announced she was so hungry. She REPLACED her well balanced breakfast with a single banana and a cup of tea. Hmmm. Maybe this diet was not meant for her.

I can't wait for this diet to fade out and bananas to get CHEAP again!

6 comments:

illahee said...

it's crazy! i mean, COSTCO has run out of bananas. how is that possible!!

and the AEON used to have them for 98 yen on tuesdays, but now they're 128!!

i think bananas are a 'miracle' food, but i don't think fad diets are a good idea. i hope it fades soon, too!

shinshu life said...

here here! I had to wait in line to get at the bananas at the supermarket yesterday!

The diet is big news in my senior's class and three of the women are trying it with their own twists- one is eating her Japanese breakfast AND a banana, one is having a banana smoothie as she doesn't like the texture of bananas and one is having the banana and tea for brekky AND lunch. I tried to suggest that all three were kind of off track with the philosophy of it all but they're happy.

Funny how noone's doing the natto diet anymore, huh?

Abigail (aka Mamatouille) said...

Oh my gosh! I was wondering where all the bananas went and why they SUDDENLY got so expensive. Leave it to a fad, ne. I hope it blows away as quickly as it came.

Gina said...

Good morning Kim, I *love* that you said....

"I grew up with bananas on cereal, so was amazed that they were amazed, but..."

I agree whole heartedly with that!!! Ha ha ha. I thought nothing new about this diet either. It sorta actually struck me as odd at first, that it was also considered so "new". : )

As for the availability of the bananas. Oh dear! My grocery store always has a big nice bunch of bananas for 98 yen, every day. They are just cheap and great for snacks for the boys and I too love bananas. But since this crazy "banana diet" has gone into a near mania or hysteria, ha ha ha. My store is now selling bananas at 198 yen a bunch. Double the price basically. : ( Oh yeah and a sign near it says....limit 2 bunches per person!!! What the heck? Ha ha ha. For my family's sake and everyone else's sake, I hope this banana diet fad will die out....and soon! Ha ha ha. *winks* : ) Have a good day! : )

illahee said...

oh, and i should add, about the AEON bananas...the 98 yen bananas were usually four to a bunch. the 128 yesterday? three! ciminey!!

Anonymous said...

What's this about a banana diet? Is it suppose to make you healthier, eyes brighter, thinner, feet smell better, or all of the above? Here in our little town on the high desert of Oregon, we have bananas. Organic bananas, regular bananas, sometimes tiny bananas, red bananas and cooking bananas. They were priced at $ .49 a pound forever, but now cost $ .69. I don't think the diet has hit America yet, just that all of our fresh fruit and veggies (and everything else) has become more expensive. We eat them for snacks, on cereal (both hot and cold), in Jello and pudding. We usually have some in the house.