Well, I don't know if Australia Day is like the US's Columbus Day - a day off work and not much more, but, I wanted to take today to write about Australia!
I was "introduced" to Australia through my Grandma Mary. After my Grandpa died, she started "world traveling". The second stop on her first trip was Australia. She loved Sydney and loved to talk about her travels there. I have an opal ring that she bought there. Jun LOVES it.
My Grandma brought back a cassette tape of Australian music. I don't know if any Australians even like it, but...we LOVE it! Whenever we played cards or games, I always asked to have that tape on. Grandma would "translate" the "Aussiesms". When the cassette died, I wrote to Australia and got another copy for her/us! I sure wish I had it still!
The media at large somewhat introduced me to Australia too, I guess. At some point in my growing up years, I read the novel Alice Springs. And saw the movie, I am sure. The Man From Snowy River was such a big hit at our college. We were awed by the scenery...and the men. Of course Crocodile Dundee made a big impact on our image of Australia too!
Living in Japan, Australia seems to be so close. Two of my good friends from church went with their husbands there on their honeymoons. Both want to go back! Alas, Ryu and I have never been that far south.
But, we reap the benefits of Australia's good relationship with Japan. Each time I buy Aussie Beef, I say, "THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!" It is the only beef our budget allows, and makes my hubby oh, so happy!
And, I have saved the best and most important for last!!! I have had the chance to "get to know" some Australian women during the past year through blogging!!! Most have Japan connections through marriage or engagement. It has been so fun to keep up with their lives. While we grew up so far apart, we have lots of things in common now. I love to read the Australian English and guess what they mean. One friend writes Aussie recipes out from time to time. I am still trying to figure out if a quince is really just a pear...or WHAT???
So, to my Australian friends, even if Australia Day is not a day you celebrate, I want to say, "THANK YOU! I've so enjoyed getting to know you over the past year! And a Happy Australian Day to all of us!"

4 comments:
Happy Australia Day, a day late! Loved your tribute to your Aussie friends and memories!!!
Quince is a fruit paste I think- but I am a terrible baker so don`t take my word for it!!!
What was the tape called that you had? I could see if it is around on CD perhaps- if you remember a couple of the songs I am sure I could track down something similar. Would be nice for Junnie, no?
Kim-
I have a dream or hope of taking our family to Hillsong's Kid's conference one summer. Let's do it together! (they make great kids worship DVDs that are made each year during the conference- our kids love them!)
Sue
Happy Australia Day to you too, mate. ;P
If anyone can be Irish on St Patrick's Day then I pronounce you an Honorary Aussie. :)
Since coming to Japan and hearing about everyone's honeymoon *I*am so keen to go to Cairns!
You mentioning Aussie music took me right back. Do you remember the artist? My mum used to love a compilation called 'Australia all over' and anything by John Williamson. I really don't listen to Ocker music anymore. I should search some out, I'm sure my girls would love some of the sillier songs.
And quince? Not pears. They are karin or marumero in Japanese. Inedible raw but divine cooked. I'll have to send you some quince jam. :)
Lulu - thanks SOO much for the offer of a CD! Junnie and I would love one. I don't remember the name of the tape, but it had Waltzing Matilda, and and and...I can't remember the other titles! It would be so much fun to hear Aussie music again!
Sue - LET's GO! Only in my dreams, I'm sure, but do you have the title of any DVD's you'd recommend for Jun?
Heather - Thanks for making me an honorary Australian! I told Ryu about "karin", and he said it has such a wonderful smell - not his exact words, but...We woule LOVE to try your jam!!!
Post a Comment