Friday, November 21, 2008

A Bushel of Love

Jun was about four months old when my Dad was able to meet her for the first time. He is not a big fan of international travel, but made the trip for her Baby Dedication. O.K.! I can't resist posting a picture of Jun that day. She was so beautiful in a dress made by Obaachan! Grandpa promptly fell in love with little baby Jun. The passion has not abated at all, as you can tell from this shot from this past summer. And the feeling is quite mutual!

Grandpa often sings the first two lines from this song to Junnie. Now, Junnie sings it too!

I love you, a bushel and a peck;

A bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck.

It's from the musical "Guys and Dolls". You can click here for all the lyrics and the music! Bushel and a Peck.

So, I made the "A Bushel of Love" square for Grandpa and Junnie!

5 comments:

Gina said...

I know that song Kim! And a very lovely song it is! How sweet grandpa sings that to Junnie! : )

shinshu life said...

This afghan is going to be so beautiful- and so meaningful!! I love the story of Jun and her Grandpa. :)

And the photo- she looks so alert! Is a baby dedication like a christening? We did omiyamaeri at 3 months old and Meg slept through the whole thing. :( Couldn't wake her for anything.

Lulu said...

The picture of Junnie & he grandfather is a keeper- what a lovely shot!!!

The afghan is going to be so cool- lucky Jun!

Kim said...

Gina! You know the song!?!? I had NEVER heard of it before my Dad started to sing it! Yep, and Jun's hugs around the neck are SOOOO Wonderful!

thefukases - Thanks! Jun was almost 4 months old when we had the baby dedication. I think a christening has to do with naming a child. A dedication is a little different. We, basically thanked God for the gift of our little girl, and gave her back to God. We prayed she would recieve the care and comfort and protection that only God can give her, even while we are actively her parents. This ceremony doesn't make her a Christian. She will make that decision for herself someday, I hope. But, it puts her in God's loving hands.

And, YES! she was alert. And grumpy. A very tired little baby. But, she stayed awake for the short and sweet ceremony! HAHAHAHA!

Lulu - Thanks! Your encouragement is well timed, as I found that one of the blocks I've finished is MUCH smaller than the others, and got discouraged! But, I have got another about ready to work on, so..., as my Mom says,...ONWARD!

Abigail (aka Mamatouille) said...

I like Grandpa's song, too!

I love your family picture and also the quilt squares...beautiful!