Saturday, November 15, 2008

"J" is for Jun

The other day Ryu asked me why I have so many nicknames for Jun. "Like what?" you ask. Well, for starters:
  1. Junnie (12 in Japanese) - because it is CUTE!
  2. Jun-chan - because we live in Japan
  3. Jun Christine I......!!! - because it is necessary to get said child's attention from time to time.
  4. Jun Kuri (chestnut in Japanese) - because the first part of Christine in katakana sounds a lot like "kuri".
  5. Jun Jun - well, it is easy and fun to say.
  6. Skookie - Grandma and Grandpa brought that one from the US.
  7. Honey - not just a spread anymore.
  8. Sweetheart - well, she is one, so...
  9. Sweetie - you see the pattern
  10. Silly, silly, Goose - Jun's favorite - she demands it when she is being...a silly, silly goose.
  11. Jun Bug - from Grandma

But, lest we forget the real meaning of "J", I have made a "J" afghan square too. Twice. Oh well, I like the second one much better than the first.

    I got to thinking about the nick names I grew up with:
  1. Kimbo - my second favorite - From Dad?
  2. Kimithy Rae (never seen that name in print) - my first favorite - From Mom?
  3. Kimmeee - my third favorite
  4. Kimbee - my sister's favorite for me
  5. Sugar - the sweetest
  6. George - My uncle named my sister "Pete" and brother "Harry".

How about you? Any nicknames???

4 comments:

Lulu said...

I love Junnie and Jun Jun! Very cute...

I have always been Lulu but my real name is Laura. My family and anybody that met me before I was 10 calls me that....

Some highschool friends do and most blog friends obviously! My partner used to call me luluchan but now says laura or laura chan more often than not.

I think nicknames are good!!!

shinshu life said...

Those names are so cute Kim. I love the Junnie one. I have a friend whose son is called Taiyo and she draws a son on his things. You could do a 12. ;)

As for yours- I bet George had people confused until they heard the story behind it!!

As for my girls Meg is Meggie most of the time, Megu-megu in katakana English, MEGUMI MARY!!!! at rather stressful moments and megamonkey for minor infractions. ;) Amy is mostly just Amy. Aiiiiiiiiimeeeeeee when she whines Muuuuuummmmyyyyyyy, AMY ETHEL!! see above, and the Amy monster when she's destroying her sisters things. :( I need to work on some cuteness, hey?

Gina said...

Well whenever I think of your daughter or read what you might have posted...I always think of her as....Junnie! So I guess that is my favorite nickname for her in my mind. :D

By the way, I love the little pic that you have on the right of your blog right now Kim! The pic of you and Junnie! I love that pic...it's a good one! : )

Kim said...

Lulu - You WOULD love Jun Jun! How cute! I never guessed your given name was Laura! Always Lulu to me! SMILE!

thefukases - that was always the hard part with short named kids - like me. How to make a nickname out of 3 letters and 1-2 syllables. My family would shorten Amy to Aim in nothing flat!

Gina - Thanks, that picture was taken this summer at my folks in the US. The weather was so great! We had gotten home from church, thus the nicer clothes, and were having a family birthday party for Jun and some cousins and an Auntie. One of the few two shots we have! I'm always behind the camera.

Oops - I talked to my Mom and she said my Grandma Esther gave me the nickname Kimbo from a song from around that time. Unfortunately I CAN'T find the song. Only Kimbo on the Net is a fighter.

Also, Jun's favorite nickname for herself is Silly Silly Goose. That may have started with Grammy. Or me?