So, I took a gander (look) at my handy dandy bi-lingual (C and F) thermometer sitting on the balcony. What would I do without this?
I am seriously metrically challenged. So the fact that I "know" these things by "feel" makes me so happy!
- 30C is a nice day. 40C is a too hot day
- 180C will bake most things. 200C is pretty hot.
- 37C the doctor will smile gently and wonder why you came. 40C and you rush to the Dr.
- 400 + gms is quite close to a pound of meat...or whatever.
- 2.5 cm. is an inch (when Grandpa needs to know how tall Jun is)
- 2.2 lbs is a kilo (used to check weight loss/gain - for Jun, of course!)
- 39C bath is not too warm. 42C will burn your buns!
- 5cc is 1 tsp. 15cc is 1 Tbsp.
- 250 cc. is an American sized measuring cup.
- I was sure I could come up with 10 things I knew...but...guess not.
So, how cold is cold in Japan? Well, yesterday it was around 50F - 10C here. But, with our lack of insulation, thin windows, and no central heating...Yes, I am making excuses to complain! HAHAHA! Not so cold, yet!
My question to YOU: What handy dandy gizmos have you brought from your home country to make life in Japan (or your host country) a bit more comfortable?

4 comments:
When I was in Japan for just the few weeks, I fell in love with the kotatsu. (Is that right? The table with the heater underneath?) Oh, it was wonderful. The concentrated warmth under the blanket made me think of the gas fireplace back home.
I also could remember that 23 C was about 73 C. I was there in the fall and we had lots of 23 C days.
the bestest (yes, made up word) thing i brought with me is my pampered chef measuring cup. it measures dry and liquid, up to two cups (american). it also has a mL measurement on the liquid side, so that is handy for japanese recipes.
and i'm sorry, but 10C IS cold!! funny story (to me, anyway): a few years ago when i was in shimane, when the temps dipped down to ten i thought, 'damn, that's cold!' but then it got REALLY cold in december, never going above four during the day. then i thought, 'hey, i bet when it goes back up to ten, i'll think it's warm.' as spring approached and temps went back to ten, i was sadly mistaken. ten was still pretty fricken cold!! lol
Australian measuring cups!! I was always trying to make Australian recipes with Japanese measuring cups and wondering why it never worked out the way it was meant to!
Post a Comment