Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas Shopping - For My Stomach!

I went to my favorite store in the world the other night. An American GROCERY Store! Yep, no clothes, beauty products, shoes (ARGH!), electrical products (ARGH!), or book stores (YET) for me! Give me the old chain grocery store any day!

I bought:

  • eggnog to make eggnog cookies - not made yet
  • peanut butter cookie dough and mini Reese's pieces to make little tart cookies - YUMMY!
  • pork 'n beans - to try to replicate my Mom's lost 1960's recipe for baked beans - not yet
  • beef, taco seasoning, taco chips for Mexican Meatloaf - YUMMY!
  • dried cranberries - to make cranberry rice pudding - not yet
  • brown sugar pop-tarts - I always say I will graduate from this addiction, but...they are my only solace when dealing with jet lag when I get back to Japan. I bought a double pack!
  • pickle spice - because I only have two kinds of spice in Japan and...OK, I didn't need it, but...it is CHEAP here!
I think that is all. It would have been nice if I had bought some milk for Jun and a few more staples...but...this was CHRISTMASSY shopping!


And, when I got home from shopping, my Mom was in the middle of making Christmas cookies!!! In keeping with Coffeegrl's Virtual Kitchen tradition (hard to do cookie exchanges in Japan, but we can exchange cookie recipes!), I posted the recipe over on my cooking blog.

4 comments:

shinshu life said...

Ok. I haven't been homesick at all this holiday season and now I'm homesick for your home!

What is pickle spice? Is it spice that tastes like pickles or spice for making pickles?

Kim said...

thefukases - I made the eggnog cookies today. Did you make the ones with the cream frosting? I made the ones using eggnog. Mmmmm.

And, pickle spice is to make pickles. Kind of a sweet pickle. Need some spice??? I have a recipe for relish (but you can use it for pickles), on my cooking blog.

You are too kind to say you are homesick for our home! I sure hope we get to meet in person someday!!!

Coffeegrljapan said...

Me too! I'm homesick for Kim's home too! Sounds just like I remember our home at Christmas time. Makes me sad, but I like to think I always appreciate the time with my parents and sister all the more when I get it!

rubyslipperlady said...

Great. Now I'm homesick and HUNGRY!