Wednesday, December 17, 2008

What's Up?

Our house is warm and snug. My Dad plugs his diesel pick-up in even during the daytime. Jun's new red sled sits all alone in the garage. It is too cold to go out and play in that beckoning snow!

So, I have a toddler that NEEDS to be put out, let out, taken out, and needs to run around and around and around. So...how cold IS too cold for a toddler to be in the snow? We think 20F is a good temperature to wait for, but...I'm going crazy. Maybe I will give in to Jun's "Just 5 minutes, Mama," and take her out to RUN (or wade, as the snow is over her knees!)

Other news? I am enjoying my Mom's seemingly endless stock of flour and sugar and her huge oven. Just today, I made cornbread for lunch and a sheet cake with frosting (secret recipe posting on my cooking blog in a few days) for Mom's birthday. I have really enjoyed making old favorites with easily available ingredients. However, if you have ever looked at my cooking blog, you might notice my cooking has three basic requirements:
  1. Old Family Recipe
  2. EASY EASY EASY
  3. Strange
I like to try strange recipes. I will confess. I may have noted elsewhere I have cucumbers hopefully turning into dill pickles in my fridge back in Japan. I crystalized some ginger - recipe will post in a day or two, candied some yuzu peel, and just like to try strange and new things.

Well, I was reading through a cookbook my Mom has with Amish recipes in it. Honestly, most of the recipes didn't meet my criteria. Then...I saw...Peanut Butter Bread! I had never heard of it! I will be making it tomorrow!!! Something new and Strange! Or, have you been making it all along?

On the crochet front. I have decided to "frog" (unravel) all that I've done so far on my niece's afghan, and put the yarn back in the suitcase. Just isn't turning out quite right. I have a year and a half before she graduates from high school, so...I still have some time! LOL!

And, I'm getting a little homesick for my husband in Japan. Jun suddenly thinks Mama is better than Grandpa (I didn't exist for the first week!), so she must be missing Daddy too. Daddy seems to be missing us too. He will have the week off work when we get home! I am SOOOO happy about that! YEAH!

Still need to get to the used bookstore!!! Oh, and finished my Christmas shopping, such as it is!

3 comments:

Coffeegrljapan said...

Oh wow. Vast amounts of flour, sugar AND a big oven. How lovely!!!! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Abigail (aka Mamatouille) said...

That is TOO weird. I have a recipe for peanut butter bread sitting open on my kitchen counter right at THIS moment. I haven't made it yet but I'm hoping to this weekend maybe. It's from my favorite cookbook - More With Less. I haven't tried that particular recipe but it tickled my fancy just reading it.

Kim said...

Coffeegrl - YES! It is like heaven!

Abigail - I CAN'T BELIEVE you were thinking of Peanut Butter Bread!!! That TOO is TOO Strange! SMILE! I made it last night. I think I'll have to post about it as my Mom and SIL LOVED it. Me - so so. (I forgot to put in the chocolate chips I had planned to add!) We did find out Jun isn't allergic to peanuts, however. Praise God!