Monday, February 9, 2009

Valentine's Day Prep

Valentine's Day is nearly here! That exclamation mark was not used as an expression of my joy about the upcoming holiday, but my husband's!

Here in Japan, the market got to the holiday and imported it before the heart did. What I mean is, Japanese men would not get on the band wagon and join a new holiday to give out chocolates and cards and flowers to even their wives, let alone unrelated women. However, Japanese women would, and have!

The holiday has changed a bit in all the years I've been here. Some companies have banned the women in the office from giving out chocolates to the men they work for, for example. And school girls exchange chocolate yummies between themselves.

But, basically, it is women to men! Ryu's former company did NOT ban the exchange of chocolate, so I would wait in anticipation for him to get home and open the gifts and SHARE! However, come March 15th, we'd have to get our acts together and come up with reciprocal gifts for White Day - or escape to the States instead for our yearly trip, HAHAH! (I think he bought them all ice cream for Girl's Day before we left...maybe.)

So, anyway, I have heart cookie cutters I used one year for cutting brownies out, maybe. I made Truffles one year - see my food blog - SOOOO easy. Last year it was Chocolate-Chip cookies. This year, Chocolate Crinkles! I'll post this recipe on the food blog too.

What about you? What is the strangest thing you've given? What are your plans for this year.?

1 comment:

shinshu life said...

Ooh Valentines Day. I love all holidays and holidays that involve chocolate? count me in!! My funniest Valentine day was making cookies with my students. I had heaps left over so I gave them out to the staff (male and female). Come white day and I turn up to school and every one of them had brought me something in return- some yakult, a bag of rice, a box of 10 (!!) daikon, some sembei etc etc. 11 presents and not a speck of chocolate!! And I always rode my bike to school so transportation of my loot was another drama!