Thursday, March 12, 2009

Halves and Doubles

I don't know. I just think that double should be two singles and halves should be half of a whole...something.

Before we got married, I could SWEAR I heard my friend say that a double bottom sheet would fit around/over two single futons. HAHAHAHA! So much for swearing! It certainly doesn't fit.

Now we have the coveted double bed and I calculated the square feet of the bedroom Jun has under her single futon and Ryu and I share under the double bed...well, I've been gyped.

Yes, sleep is a very important topic for me. Even before my sleep deprived first year of motherhood. So, on to wholes and halves.

I started out with two pillows. Stacked on top of each other, it was the perfect height for me. Then, one day, to my really and truly SHOCK, Jun pulled the pillow I had ONLY been loaning her, off the bed and into the living room and announced it was "Junnie's pillow". Well, is there anything more binding than THAT in a family? I think not. So, since then, I am down to one pillow. I fold the pillow - double it over, and make do. Though, sometimes I notice that Jun is sleeping with her feet on her pillow, and just, you know, "borrow" hers for the night. And, I ALWAYS wake up with a kink in my neck that will not go away! Why are two stacked pillows different than a doubled over one???

And, lastly on the bedding list. A year or two ago I was in search of a bottom bed cover (have I posted about this? Well, anyway...) that was fluffy and warm. Not a sheet. As I was looking, there were, among others, towel-kets (made of terry), half-kets (HUH??!?!?!?), and blan-kets. Did YOU know "blan" meant "whole?" Yep, a half-ket is a half-blanket. Lap robe? A robe with no sleeves. Not American!

2 comments:

shinshu life said...

I had no idea the world of manchester was so confusing. I did sew two single sheets together to make a double one and now have MASSES of sheet so I knew that one! I am a real pillow princess- I have to have a very flat wadding pillow- no feathers, down or heaven forbid those horrible crunchy cut up drinking straws! I have lost my favourite doona to Amy and my favourite flanelette sheets to Meg though so I can sympathise!

Coffeegrljapan said...

We went through this earlier this fall. I'm still not sure how it turned out as I got lost in the conversation between my husband and his mother. She had asked us to get a double comforter cover but it turned out she had a single and a semi (maybe?) so there was no way a double would actually fit...or something like that. I just got too confused to keep up!