Right along with quilting, crocheting, and bread making, I kind of figured that if my grandmas did it and my mom did it, I could do it "gardening" too. Well, I have kept my geraniums alive for years, anyway.
This year, with a bunch of pots of soil and no flowers to put in them, I decided it was time to "teach" Jun how to grow vegetables. So, I went to the 100 yen store and bought a package of cucumber seeds and one of tomato seeds. I also paid a buck at the stationary/craft shop for some leaf lettuce that came nicely sprouted.
As Jun and I sprinkled those veggie seeds over that completely unfertilized, unprepared soil, I have to tell you...if these seeds come up, I will be the MOST surprised person in the world! Each time we water the cucumber seeds, they float to the top, and I push them back down. Can't see the tomato seeds, so...who KNOWS what THEY are doing unsupervised! Whoever thought of putting "dead" seeds in the ground and then had patience to wait till they came up...amazing! I am definitely a hunter/gatherer!
And for the leaf lettuce. I heard you keep picking off the leaves and then more come. If you pick it, they will come. Right? So, how big do the leaves have to get before you pick them? I can't believe I need to GOOGLE leaf lettuce!
I just want to say that my grandparents and Mother really did not prepare me well in THIS area of my life! They made it look so easy and natural. And it isn't!

6 comments:
You do have patience!! Tomatoes and cucumbers both take forever.
The lettuce we wait until there are 6 leaves before we take two. Then just keep taking the outside two each time it grows two more leaves inside.
For quick veggie fun I like radishes (called 20 day daikon in Japanese they're so quick), baby carrots and spinach.
Have fun gardening! I love it and it's so much fun watching the girls excitement watching everything grow.
I DON'T have patience or faith! I WILL check out your veggie fun recommendations! Thanks!
Kim, I'm with you. I have so many gardening stories about tomatoes that got battered to death on balconies in typhoons etc. I feel your pain - I have no clue about gardening though I feel like I should do it and should have a clue. I saw a strawberry plant (with no berries yet) at Royal Home Center the other day and thought of buying it, and then thought I probably shouldn't waste my money on something that won't end up producing any fruit anyway when it's been smashed by laundry and cooked on the concrete in the sun. I have very little gardening faith, though someday hope to have a real one in a real yard!!!
Go with the radishes! I plant radishes every year. We don't eat them, but they come up so nicely, and flourish while I am waiting for the other stuff to send up tiny leaves.
Why didn't you have Jun break up the soil with her shovel before you planted? I'll bet she would have done a fine job!
Next tine the cucumber seeds float to the top, poke them back down and then cover them with soil!
The kids at school are growing marigolds. I do think they used soft dirt.
3rd vote here for radishes. Tomo had great success with them. We bought a pot and he decorated it and I wrote his name on it so it was his special plant last spring/ summer. They grow so fast and are fun to pick. Also thefukases recommendation to plant spinach is also a good one.
Happy gardening. i have been blissfully enjoying mine.
This sounds like my experience with growing things. My father always grew vegetables and more recently flowers. I know a little, but when left to my own devices....I do what??
Post a Comment