Sunday, April 19, 2009

Pearls and Pigs

Since coming to Japan, I have learned MORE and MORE about the verse in the Bible about not throwing pearls to pigs! Unfortunately, I realized I am the PIG!

When Jun was just born, some students asked what she needed. Well, I really wanted her to have a winter jacket. I know NOW!!! Babies really DON'T need winter jackets, but how was I to know THAT when I'd never clothed a baby before?!?!?! My students, who are all veteran mothers/grandmothers, bought a pretty pink coat for Jun but it was way to big for her to wear the first winter. So, I took it back to the store to exchange it. That's when I found out it was a brand name coat...for a tiny tiny baby...and it cost the equivalent of $180.00 I fell over on my face and got a smaller size so, she barely wore it before she grew out of it and I passed it on to a new friend who had a baby girl. She doesn't look like a PIG, so she will probably appreciate it! LOL!

I have been given pottery, handkerchiefs, furoshikis, kimono stuff and food and bags and...and if I like them I keep them, if not, I pass them on to the recycle shop or to others. Never knowing if they are expensive or brand name gifts!

My most recent PIG and PEARL story happened yesterday - Saturday. Jun and I were on our way to meet Daddy at the In-laws. I was pretty exhausted after making a side-trip to CAJ's thrift store bazaar to get some BOOKS, so stopped off at McDonald's for a cup of coffee. I was told to pick up something for Jun for lunch, so thought I'd get her a hamburger and fries and feed her before we got to the in-laws - as she NEVER eats anything there. Well, she barely touched the fries and the hamburger was a no-thank you.

So, knowing FULL WELL there was an expensive tray of sushi waiting for me for lunch, and that my stomach capacity is NOT BIG, I quite contentedly and slightly guiltily sat and finished off Jun's cheap-o hamburger (the cheapest EIEIO sells!) and fries.

Yes, I am certainly a PIG - please keep your PEARLS to yourself!

2 comments:

Sue said...

Glad you were able to make it over to CAJ for your books. You had better weather than we did yesterday! Your story about the coat made me chuckle. I so did not get why Japanese people always give clothes that the baby can't wear until a year or more after birth at first. I have really come to appreciate that custom, though. Since I always got the newborn stuff (cute but quickly outgrown!) from American relatives and friends I had the best of both worlds!

Kim said...

Sue: Yes! I am always amazed that they can guestimate what size she will wear when. Before I thought to look at the chart in her mother/child book to see what size she MIGHT be in so many months, I was ALWAYS buying the wrong size for the wrong seasons!