- Of course, Jun has known her colors in English for some time now. Or so I thought. Lately she has been saying, "Mama is white and Junnie and Daddy are black." I can only assume she is doing a bit of direct translating from Japanese where Jun and Daddy are tanned and people comment that Jun is "makkuro - completely black." Or not? Does she know "black" in Japanese?
- The other day I asked Jun what Mama's real name was. She said, "Mom." Then I asked what my name was that started with a "K," and she said, "Kim." All these years I have thought "Kim" WAS my real name. Now I finally know the truth!
- I updated the color on my hair the other day. I was quite impressed at the blueness of my eyes with my RED hair and the green shirt I "borrowed" from Daddy'! Really! One friend DID notice. Probably doesn't think I NEED to ummm update the color on my hair. SMILE!
- I thought these days were safely past. However, I guess they've just begun. The other day I was out in front of our church playing with a bunch of kids. Jun was standing at the side "cleaning her nose." "Hmmmm," I thought, "she usually doesn't do that." I invited her to come play with us a few times but she was "busy." "Hmmm," I thought. Finally she came over to me. I don't remember her exact words, but I thought I was fairly calm when informed that a rosemary leaf had been stuck WAY UP into her nostril. Didn't even think of Dr. Turtle-Forest (the ENT up the street), and took her to the kitchen. A little washing of the nose and a good blow brought all to rights. However, we didn't take any rosemary home to add to our chicken that night. I wonder how many days it took for Jun to stop smelling rosemary???
- Jun is into taking cold showers lately! The child who couldn't go into a cold swimming pool while we were in the States. Of course, her "MOM" wouldn't/couldn't go in either, so... Well, I enjoy a hot shower while she plays at the cold faucet. It seems to work!
- I don't know if all our meters are broken, or WHAT? Our gas and electric bills were so cheap this month, I'm a bit worried. Seriously! We left the gas pilot light on overnight a couple of times, and ran the air conditioner all night for at least a week or so. YEAH!
- Quick thinking! I think I should get some kind of a prize. Jun and I were making cookies. She was mixing. We had gotten to the stage where the butter and sugar had been creamed and the eggs had been added. It was a bit soupy. It was sitting on the table. Jun was stirring it. Suddenly, the bowl landed upside down on the floor. I stood looking at it. My thoughts: a) when was the kitchen floor swept last? Couldn't remember. b) who swept it? (if it had been Ryu, he might have mopped it too. If it was me...well...). c) These cookies have cocoa in them. That will disguise any strange color from...the floor. d) These cookies have oatmeal in them. That will disguise any extra fiber. I scooped that goop off the floor, tossed it back in the bowl and made cookies. Then, forgetting this whole story, took them to church to share!
- This is cute if you know Japanese. If you don't, just smile and chuckle. I was on the balcony hanging out the laundry. Jun was asking for something. I can't remember. Anyway, for some GOOD reason I said to her, "Maaaa ii ka!?" (It's OK, right?). Jun quickly replied, "Iikunai!" (No, it's not OK!). Totally wrong grammar, though I think Ryu said the comics in Osaka use it. (Just chuckle, ok?) Now we use it too! LOL! No wonder her Japanese skills are not improving.
- I may have commented a few times on how much I HATED my new progressive lenses. So much that, after having exhausted eyes for a month (the amount of time the store said it might take to get used to them), I decided to take them back to the shop. However, I didn't have time to do that in the rush to leave for the States this June. I wore them for those two crazy busy weeks. Weeks where the horizon was far away, not at the end of my balcony. Weeks where rooms' walls were more than 5-6 feet away. And, sometime during those two weeks, my eyes got used to these lenses. They aren't perfect, but they are much better than not seeing or searching the house for a pair of reading glasses. However, for real book reading or computer use, I sometimes go back to my old glasses so I can see a larger width of page in focus at one time. If you don't have progressive lenses, this was probably real helpful, huh? If you DO, be sure to schedule a vacation to get used to them! Really!
- Well, the last note on the list I wrote for this post says 'njw". I have NO IDEA what THAT was supposed to remind me of. So, I guess these rambling posts would just have gone on for 10 days, not 20!
Hope the end of your summers are all going well. Hope your gardens ripen, your laundry dries, your sunburns fade, your mosquito bites heal, and, if applicable, your kiddos got ready for school. And, I'm glad that Autumn is my favorite season. After all, my BIRTHDAY is in autumn!

6 comments:
Our gas and electricity bills were sugoi cheap as well!!! Dunno why, but grateful.
I'm not looking forward to progressive lenses, though if I wear my contacts I realize how much I'm going to need them pretty soon.
The "iikunai" was hilarious! Love it - maybe I'll start using it, too.
Oh, my birthday's in the fall, too - it's the best season, ne!
Tell Ryu that he's lucky he didn't know you back in your "kansai-ben" days--- when you talked like the highschool boys of nagata-ku! :) Loved hearing from you. Missed your blog.
BTW- I bought you guys 2 new packets of the 10 vegetable mix. USE it MORE OFTEN! I can ALWAYS send you some! Will send it this week from Hungary. Send me your address, ok? Tam
You have to show us your new hair colour!
You had me laughing with the rosemary. Think I won't be using any tonight after that one *lol*.
I want a photo of the new hair color. I'm trying to decide if I want to go gray or find someone to do color. ::snort::
I loved this rambling post!
I would totally have thought the same thing about the cookie mix on the floor. And K would be the one who'd mop here, too! I see your iikunai and raise you 'kireikunai'
And rosemary is so sharp! I can't imagine how poor Jun felt...
Post a Comment