Saturday, August 15, 2009

Mid-Life Exercise

Years ago I was teaching an English class and the topic was different age divisions. You know - infant, baby, toddler, etc. and on up. What numerical ages are in each category. When we got to middle age, my students all said 35! I GASPED! I was over THAT age by then, and DID NOT consider myself to be middle aged at all! I corrected them - the Japanese for that age IS 35 BTW - and went on to become 40!

Yep, Ryu and I both agree that the old body changes after 40. Over the years we have done...very very little to keep ourselves in shape. We joined a swimming club place one summer. That was nice in the summer, but riding our bikes there in the dead of winter in the evening, well...we quit and joined the sports club near our house. There I tried a "step aerobics" class. What a JOKE! We chose to "work out" together, so chose the cheapo evening time period, when all the other classmates were 23 years old. And their brains were still working just fine, and they could all understand Japanese (OK, I always use this excuse, but it works pretty well), and and and. I couldn't remember those steps if there WASN'T a step to jump on and off.

Luckily, Jun came and we immediately quit all that foolishness. My next weight loss campaign was starvation and sleep deprivation. Not planned, but, through all the exercise, I never lost a gram. In the first two months of parenting, I lost about 5 kilos. (2.2 lbs in a kilo, Mom!) Climbing to the fourth floor regularly with Jun in the sling, and carrying her around town, was great exercise.

But, now she is TREE (3). My hip protests wildly if I carry her too much. So, we use other methods of transport. Often her own two legs. And the scales are moving up a bit each month.

Also, the past two years have shown me just how UNSTELLAR my heart DNA is as my Mom got 4 stents and my Dad got a pacemaker. So, the need for cardiovascular exercise was brought home to me. I bought various DVD's. Put them in. Watched while sitting on the couch. Laughed. Put them away. Then, Vicky at Hyotenka started an exercise routine and it included a walking DVD. I had never heard of it, but on her recommendation bought one this past trip home. And...I CAN DO IT! And, I think I'll be able to do it for a long long time!

It's called Walk at Home. The DVD's come in various mile lengths. There are VERY FEW steps to remember. The leader goes back to walking in place between each step. No tripping over my feet. Just constant movement for as long as I want. I can do it in my living room and sometimes Jun joins me. I can turn off the sound and do it during her nap, if I want - it is THAT easy to follow!

In addition, Jun and I love our Tammilee Web Total Stretch for Beginners DVD. It has three 10 minute stretching routines. One is standing, one sitting, and one on the floor. Also a 30 minute routine for the days you have time! They are perfect for the end of the day, or to get the kinks out of your back in the morning. Easy to do, even when you are past the 45 yo mark!

Now that I've posted about these great DVD's and my back is back in use (hahaha) I'm looking forward to putting on some miles before the end of the year. I need some sort of goal, though. Weight isn't an issue yet (Thanks, Jun), so, does anyone have any ideas?

5 comments:

Lulu said...

I quite enjoy walking and will definitely have to give the dvd a go I think when I am trying to lose my baby weight.

I also like Yoga and Pilates although not very good at either as my balance is crap but they are fun and it is amazing how much of a sweat you work up even though you are not moving much.

Will probably start hooping again after bub too...as that was fun!

I think it is important to exercise not only for our own sake and health but also to set good examples for our families and children- if Jun sees you doing it then she will want to get into it too and from what I can tell and active child is a happy child (also one that sleeps well!!!!)

Best of luck with your new regime!

Mom said...

I think a worthwhile goal would be to feel your best. Don't pay too much attention to the scales, and more to your body.

I watched an exercise video this morning, and then my shoulder hurt. Just think what might have happened if I had actually exercised!

Coffeegrljapan said...

Maybe there's something onerous that you could tackle (i.e. going up all 4 flights of stairs without getting out of breath?) That was a big one for me. "If I can just get fit enough to go up the stairs without getting out of breath I'll know I succeeded!"

Tracy said...

Kimmee! I am a Leslie Sansone fan. I have her DVD series called "Walk Away the Pounds". It's something I have stuck with over several years (for the most part anyway). I think I may get the "Walk at Home" set that you talked about.

Have fun. You can do it!

Pretty hot here in Southern Maine the past couple days. "Sweating Away the Pounds" . . . my idea for a lazy weight loss plan!

Gina said...

I hear ya Kim,I enjoy walking too. Although I use a treadmill, I do like walking though. I think keeping fit is a good thing for all in the family. I am glad you enjoyed that DVD. I am using the other one Vicky mentioned on her blog the Shred with Jillian Michaels and another with Jillian as well... called No More Trouble Zones.

And you made me smile about the heart DNA stuff. My dad, had a quadruple heart bypass and I worry about that too, which is a good reason to make me keep fit. Well other reasons too, but you know what I mean. : )