Every time I've told this story, no one laughs. I think it is at least worth a chuckle. Hmmmm.
We went with some friends to their cabin this weekend. It is part of a neighborhood that has a hot springs for residents to use cheaply. Jun LOVED it, so we went twice.
The second time there were other kids there too which was fun for Jun. We were in the outside bath (those not familiar with Japanese hot springs/baths - most are single gender and most only require you to wear your birthday suit) which was the one with the mineral water. The minerals made it look like a huge mud puddle - about up to your neck if you sat on the bottom. It is a big bath - reminded me of a nice sized fish pond. Jun and the other kids were in and out of the bath and "swimming," etc.
Well, we were sitting there and I started a conversation with two little girls. One was 5 and one was 7. They were sisters. I asked if the 7 year old had been busy with the 7-5-3 celebration which happens at this time of year for kids 7-5-3 years old. Yes, they HAD been very busy with it. I commented that, yes, we were busy with Jun's preparations. Their mother said that usually BOYS only celebrated at 5 years of age, so we didn't need to worry about Jun. I smiled sweetly and said that Jun is a GIRL. (To be fair, 'Jun' in Japanese is usually a boy's name.) The mother hurriedly apologized and said that since Jun didn't have any clothes on, it was hard to tell that she was a girl.
Don't you think THAT's worth a chuckle? And, if you are scared of taking a bath with lots of other people, be assured, they AREN'T looking!

8 comments:
LOL. Well, I think that's quite funny!
And explains how I confused people with the girls as babies/ toddlers wearing black/ navy/ blue/ green clothes.
For what it's worth I think Jun looks very much the little girl. And my first Japanese teacher was *Mrs* Jun Yano. Complete battleaxe but I'm sure that wasn't because of her name!
I really did LOL at that one! Too funny. It is kind of reassuring... sort of.
Either culture or bad eyes.
I used a darker shade of hair color, and was devastated at the results. No one noticed. I was reminded that others really don't pay that much attention.
I think that our Jun is a lovely little girl, but a boy named Jun would have a hard time here in the states.
And, Yes I did get a giggle from this.
A cabin and some hot springs sounds like a lovely way to spend the weekend.
I also think Jun, looks like a little girl as well. A real cutie patootie little girl in fact! : )
I laughed, Kimmee!
I did not chuckle nor giggle but actually LAUGHED HARD!! Thanks for the post!!
But how could that lady mistaken Jun for a boy? The name? The short hair? Come on! Jun's got the most impressively round big n CUTE eyes plus thick n long lashes to die for! And in Japan, those features are considered "girly", desho?? (smile)
too funny!
ahhh, I miss the baths.
It made me laugh and so, of course, I had to tell my sister about it and she got a good laugh out of it too!
Post a Comment