A good friend, (H!), knowing that we are Christians, and that the 7-5-3 ceremony traditionally includes a trip to a local Shinto shrine for a blessing, asked how we explained the event to Jun.
Good question. But, let me back up to ... the beginning of 7-5-3 for us.
When Jun was just 4 months old, my parents came for a special visit from the States. Our church held a special Baby Dedication for Jun, where, in essence, thanked God for the gift of Jun and gave her back to God for his special fathering of her. As Jun has gotten older, that ceremony means more and more to me. I have great fears that she will do something dangerous to herself. Irrational fears based on a great imagination. So, when she goes off to play with some big kids or adults at church and I know they will be crossing roads and I am ready to say, "no!", I remember that God is taking care of her too - not just me. So, that dedication is more and more important to me daily. I guess I don't really feel the NEED to renew it just because Jun got a few years older.
I wanted to celebrate 7-5-3 for Ryu's parents, who are not Christians. I wanted them to know that we loved and cared for Jun a lot, and that the Christian God welcomed prayers on behalf of children - basically I didn't want them to worry that she wasn't blessed at a shrine.
As it turned out, they weren't able to attend the blessing today at church, which was kind of disappointing. So, for me, 7-5-3 became a good chance to finally get a professional picture of Jun and us. However, when I mentioned this to Ryu, I was a bit surprised when the fact that it was a 7-5-3 picture was quite important to him. He was so glad to have the picture to celebrate Jun's 3rd year. Who knew? The man who celebrates NOTHING!
The blessing at church today was wonderful and weepy. We had special music and a testimony from a "veteran" mother. Then the pastor called each family, who had a child 3-5-7 years old, up to the front of the room. First he asked the father to introduce the child. Short and sweet. Then he asked the mothers, "Why are you thankful for being this child's mother?" Well, the first Mother cried as did most of us who followed. All of us have "only children" though some are still hopeful. Each Mother echoed the others' words and thoughts. And we all cried. So so thankful for these kids!
I think I'll take a minute on Jun's blog to list some of the things I did and didn't say today at church, so she will have a record of a few of the things I am so thankful about being her Mama!
I would really like to hear how any one else celebrates 7-5-3 in non-traditional ways!
And the camera is broken - dead forever - and I didn't pull my cell out - so...have to wait on today's pics!

4 comments:
What a sweet, sweet service. Thanks for sharing.
Very interesting!
We're secular humanists and therefore will not do the shrine visit either. Perhaps we'll have a party, to show our thanks for our child and getting to 3&5. My son will be 5 when my daughter is 3 so we both have the same one in the same year. I better start saving up!
Thank you for explaining that. I like that your church includes a service that is inclusive of a day that the kids would otherwise miss out on.
I'm sure Jun felt very special with mummy and daddy talking to everyone about her too. :)
Hi. I just found your blog through Salsa in China. We have a 3 year old daughter and lived in Japan for a while in the 90's, so I wanted to do something for 7-5-3 but in Lower Alabama there's not a lot to do! I told my daughter that God is happy she's alive everyday, but told her that day was a special day for her. We said a special prayer and she got to drink Sprite at lunch! That usually NEVER happens! So, not the same, but..
I was in Shinkoiwa at the Baptist church there in June and they said they do much the same your church does.
Post a Comment