Our Monday started nearly two years ago. I do plan writing about that some time...really! But, today began at 5 am. For some unknown reason, Jun woke up then too. And hopped on one foot down the hall in happiness with a huge smile on her face! Me? I didn't sleep well last night, so...my smile was a bit forced.
And, off to the US embassy by around 6:30. We wanted to "beat" the rush hour traffic and stop somewhere for breakfast before our 8:30 am appt. Well, so much for beating rush hour on trains in Tokyo. I held Jun for quite a bit of the trip and won't need to do aerobics for another two weeks, I'm sure! After a quick breakfast we "checked in" at the embassy and then waited for the window people to start work. We were called very close to 8:30, and all went smoothly. This time Jun "had" to go to the window too, and that was sOooo exciting. Except that they didn't let her give HER fingerprints on the green machine.
However, after watching Daddy, Jun and I played, "Give someone your fingerprints" over and over. She was quite proficient by the time we got called to the final part of the morning - the interview. There was a small one finger fingerprinting machine at this window, and Jun wanted to touch it so badly. So I asked, and the man said, sure. Then he checked his computer and asked if she had ever been up for the murder of a trucker in Arkansas. Of the three of us, I alone laughed at his jokes, but they were funny. He asked Jun if she was married, and she assured him she wasn't.
Ryu raised his right hand and swore something in Japanese. Basically that, sure, as far as he knew his wife had filled out the reams of paper correctly, but if not, they should go after her, and not him...or not.
The final word, which was caught by Ryu, was "Congratulations!"
Ryu and Jun's immigration visas should be arriving in a week or so!

7 comments:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
I know you have been waiting a long time for this day.
And I am shocked you didn't miss rush hour- what on earth time does it start??? And more shocked that noone stood for you. That's terrible.... And Jun getting to do the fingerprints must have made her day. :)
おつかれさま!
It must be a relief to have all that behind you now.
The other day James overheard me talking about your leaving, and was upset. "My friend Jun is leaving?!" he asked. I assured him that Jun is not leaving quite yet, and he kept saying, "Jun is my friend."
Heather - thanks so much! We HAVE to meet, though!!! Are you coming to Saitama or Costco in the next month??
Sue - I can hardly see to type from the tears. Dear dear James!
CONGRATS!! When will you be coming?? I'll be in Oregon soon too! Wow! Can hardly wait to meet. (let's make it before 1st week in May, ok??) Congrats!
Kimmee! What great news. I'm so excited for you all!
I imagine you have mixed feelings....moves are such strange times to live through. Thanking God that this hurdle went smoothly.
I'm so excited for you and find myself smiling as I think of all the times I've spent at various embassies. I also find myself teary as I look at what you have ahead - joy and bittersweet. Love and prayers to you all!
Oh, I love the fingerprint guy, by the way.
Post a Comment