Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Baking - My Stress Relief

I priced English Muffins at the store the other day. 12 muffins for around $5. If I remember correctly, and I may very well not, that is more expensive than they were in Japan.

So, I came home and did a search for English Muffins where you make the dough in the Bread Maker (Home Bakery). I found one that 75 people had commented on favorably and made them! They were wonderful. I cannot knead bread because my wrists are pretty weak, so the Bread Maker did the hard part. Then Jun and I cut the muffins out, let them raise for a bit then I cooked them on skillets on top of the stove. Open one of those up, toast it and spread butter all over it...oh, my goodness sakes alive!

I have also always wanted to make the easy chocolate chip marshmallow based fudge. Jun asks me what fudge is and I tell her "it is the very best chocolate in the whole wide world." Now she knows her Mama is telling the truth! We made it the other day. I just need to stop EATING it, now!

Jun and I made cornbread this morning for dinner tonight. For the first time, I had her read the recipe to me. She struggled right through it. I hope those long vowels and strange spellings and fractions will be more interesting when they are attached to real things - like the "yummiest cornbread in the whole world."

Other than that, I made our regular Bread Maker bread. I put all the dry ingredients, except for the yeast, for about 4-5 batches in individual plastic bags and then it takes 2 seconds to get the bread maker out and get the week's bread baking!

Can you believe a supermarket out of ground nutmeg at this time of the year? And down to 2 bottles of ground ginger? At THIS time of the year? Well, I am still nutmeg-less, the other store I went to today didn't have it either. I want to make my Gingersnap Granola soon, as it is getting to be that season.

Also, fake Chex cereals were on sale this week. 5 boxes for $10. We love Chex Mix snacks. So, today I bought things like onion powder and garlic powder and other crackerey things to put in them. It is really strange not to have a stocked - for us, anyway - spice shelf! I want to make some tomorrow!

Anything else? I plan to find a bagel recipe that I can also make in the Bread Maker to try my hand at soon. Anyone else have a "strange" bread recipe they make in their bread maker? I like to try new things!

Thankful: For being able to watch my husband work with leather, which he loves! Thank you for this chance, God and America!

5 comments:

Marla said...

please post the link to that English muffin recipe!

Kim said...

Marla - here you go! I will probably put it on my food blog soon too!
http://www.food.com/recipe/English-Muffins-Bread-Machine-Method-63244

Marla said...

Thank you so much Kim!!!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

So much yummy cooking going on in OR.

Kim said...

De-Etta - yep. And little exercise - so much for THAT goal for Nov.!!!