We were at the Dept. of Motor Vehicles on Wednesday...for hours...trying to change our driver's licenses and car titles over to Idaho. Jun brought a bag and a basket of books, crayons, markers, and who knows what all else.
While we were waiting for our number to be called...and waiting and waiting, Jun noticed A LITTLE GIRL sitting across the way from us. "Mama, can I give her this picture I wrote (a hang over from Japanese where you write rather than draw pictures)?" "Sure." Jun gave her the pic and came back. The little girl looked at the pic rather uninterestedly. Said to her Dad that it looked like a lighthouse, and had a rather unpleasant look on her face. Jun said, "Mama, can I go tell her what it is?" "Sure." Jun went over and told her it was a picture of a girl in a wedding dress. The little girl's face didn't change. She looked crabby and grumpy and very unfriendly. Jun said, "Mama, can I go and ask her if she'd like to play with me." "Jun, look at that little girl's face! She does not look friendly at all. She looks crabby and grumpy!" "No she doesn't, Mama. She just looks bored." "Well...OK. But if she says "no," don't be sad, just come back and I'll color with you, OK?" "OK." Jun went over to the little girl a third time. "Would you like to color with me?" "SURE!" And they became best of friends.
So, sometime someone WILL reject my Jun and, rather than do something terrible to the person that does reject her, I am trying to prepare her to deal with the inevitable. But, I seem to be learning more from her than she from me.

3 comments:
So, so sweet. That's a good life lesson right there! Sometimes when I get grumpy back at grumpy people, later I wonder if they've got something really hard going on in life and I should've had more grace for them.
What a precious story!
Great story, go Jun. We are recently dealing with rejection Arielle is facing from 14 yo girls....not fun, but praying valuable lessons are learned.
Post a Comment