Before Prime Minister Koizumi, I used to jest that Japan changed its Prime Ministers as often as she changed her undershirt. Then Mr. Koizumi, with the wild "lion" hair-do and a smile that I found irritating, just kept on being the Prime Minister. It was a bit of a relief not to have to worry about who was leading the nation, and more about how it was being led. When Mr. Koizumi resigned last summer I was happy to notice (in the midst of brand-new-new baby-mother-hood) that Mr. Abe had been chosen. He was young and had a good hair cut. Pretty shallow, I admit.
I am in the midst of brand-new-toddler-mother-hood, and I am still behind in all the news. Three days ago my husband came home and announced that Prime Minister Abe had quit. When he came home the next evening, he announced that Former Prime Minister Abe was in the hospital. Last night he came home and announced that Mr. Abe was hospitalized for depression.
We spent the morning discussing who was to blame for Mr. Abe's depression and who will benefit from his resignation, etc. I write etc. because I couldn't place any of the names my husband was tossing around, and can't remember who is to blame for what.
We came to our uneducated, unresearched, and unprofessional conclusion that Mr. Abe's depression and all that happened in the political system to bring this 3rd generation politician to this point is a dismal reflection of the culture of Japan. A culture that pushes and pushes and pushes, beginning with babies going to the cram-school above our church, so they can pass the entrance exams into PRE-SCHOOL!!!!! In the school's ad they announce how many of their "graduates" were accepted to which PRE-SCHOOLS!!!
Among our church members we find many many folks who ran the gauntlet of education, entered a good university, a great company, and then collapsed from the pressure. Now they are unemployed, working at factories, or otherwise NOT living out the life they seem to have been promised if they JUST give 150% for their whole lives.
I hope and pray that Mr. Abe recovers physically and psychologically from his stint as Prime Minister. I want to say to Mr. Abe and his wife - Otsukarasamadeshita! Thank you for your service!

No comments:
Post a Comment