When I was a child I remember my Dad praying before meals. Nearly every time he thanked God for the freedom we have in the US. I really never understood why he said that. I grew up with that freedom, and never noticed it.
Lately I have been thinking differently about freedom. And, I have become very thankful for the freedom in the US, even though I'm not there.
I am thankful for the freedom of the American culture. I compare it to Japanese culture, and there are just not as many little boxes to cram people into, in the US, as there are here in Japan. Ryu really feels this freedom when he visits the US. He can be himself and people accept him. What a wonderful feeling! In the US you can make mistakes, and then pick yourself up and try again. And again. And again. There doesn't seem to be a ceiling on the number of times you can try try again.
I am also thankful for the political freedom in the US. I am sitting here nearly on pins and needles wanting to know the election results. But, I am not worried at all. Whichever candidate wins, I believe that the US will be better for it. Whichever candidate wins, the US will not go into political upheaval. Whichever candidate wins, there are so many checks and balances in the political system, that change will come slowly. I am very interested in the results, but not afraid of them.
Yep, I thank God too for the freedom we have in the US! As Jun and I often say, "Thank you so so much!"

1 comment:
Amen, sister!
Post a Comment