Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Few Days in Review

Well, jet lag is not cooperating with us, unlike our other trips this year. I think it is the inability to get Jun outside running in the sun. Her Mama isn't out there either. Too cold! But, we will overcome! HAHAHA!

Let's see...I got sticker shock yesterday. Went shopping for diapers - those kind that help train toddlers. Well, two packages of diapers, a pair of reading glasses for uhummm - me, and some Christmas cards I NEED to get in the mail to students in Japan, and I was down $45 dollars. Add a pair of mittens for Jun and a huge piece of pecan pie a'la mode, and I was down $60 just stepping out the front door. I have decided to stop stepping out the front door!!! This is not to say that there aren't sales everywhere, but...I guess diapers are not on the reduced price list. Wonder why?

It has been fun seeing family. Grandpa is at the dentist this morning. Jun hasn't seen him yet, but has stood at the window calling "Grandpa" for hours. When I came back from sticker shock shopping yesterday, I noticed a black box machine-like thing on the kitchen counter. I asked Jun what it was for. She told me it was for Grandpa's heart. We are here less than 48 hours, and Grandpa was feeling a bit of stress and did a quick heart check. We all got a good laugh out of that! I think he is fine, but he is a real hands-on Grandpa! He has done more puzzles and read more books! Grammy is doing well physically, teaching Jun puzzles and counting and cooking and...the list goes on and on.

And me? Other than sticker-shock shopping, I have finally finished the design/pattern for my niece's high school graduation afghan. It will be much smaller than I had planned. I didn't buy enough yarn. Oh well! It is my first afghan. Maybe we will call it a lap throw or something like that. So, I have yarn all over the house. I'm using 11 skeins of yarn at the same time. And I only brought half the yarn here, so when I get back to Japan, I will have yarn all over there too! YIKES! Today I need to get my student's Christmas cards in the mail, and...I MUST get to the used book store. Then I will have more books to give away next year! Check out my book blog, if you haven't yet. About 6 books left from the Dec. group!

Well, off to shower and start the day - again! Have a good day!

2 comments:

illahee said...

for some unknown reason, disposable diapers are extremely expensive in the US. the pull-up kind even more so. maybe time for potty training? (just kidding, of course, who wants to go through that on vacation??)

most everything else is pretty inexpensive, right? *dreaming*

Kim said...

Illahee - and those diapers! Princess diapers, of course, but...
They are training diapers, so the child should FEEL cold and wet when...they wet them. Well, I even TOLD this to Jun, but she is NOT fazed a bit! Also, these gold embossed pull up diapers come with paper velcro fasteners on both sides. Which I found out after ripping the sides off a few pair! Inexpensive? Not in this town!!! LOL!