Sunday, March 1, 2009

Dominos on Wheels

We live in a "mansion" that has a large space out front for bicycle parking. No stands for the bikes, just a paved area. When we get a heavy wind, many of the bikes fall over. After the last wind, Jun and I were going for a walk and I noticed the "fallen" bikes. (HAHAHA) Well, I decided to teach Jun a "Good Samaritan" lesson and had her stand out of the way (she is not allowed to touch bicycles) while I righted the 3-4 bicycles.

This left an impression. Last Sunday, on our way to EIEIO's for some french fries to eat while waiting for the bank clock to chime noon and the dolls and music to pop out of the clock, we passed by our favorite convenience store. It is right next to a juku (cram school). Apparently school was in session, as many many bicycles were lined up at the edge of the sidewalk. Two or three, however had fallen down right in front of the convenience store. Jun thought Mama should pick those bicycles up. I thought, "I can do that! Keep reinforcing those great values."

As I was righting the last one, it bumped the one next to it. It was just like slow motion at the movies. Slowly, one by one by one by one by eight, by nine, by ten, by eleven the bicycles ALL fell over. I thought how lucky it is I don't get embarrassed easily anymore. And I thought "sugoi! (cool!)" Jun thought, "a la la la la la la (whoops)!" And slowly and steadily I picked up those eleven bicycles. Then, Jun and I grabbed hands and RAN to EIEIO's. I was really ready for those french fries by then!

3 comments:

Abigail (aka Mamatouille) said...

That sounds like something I'd do - all in the name of being a Good Samaritan, too. My best intentions always cause way more work than I'd intended! :)

Coffeegrljapan said...

Oh Kim! How thoughtful of you! And how funny the unintended consequences can be. :)

Unknown said...

Been missing your posts. Thought maybe you were sick/ sad/ computer broken. Glad to see you back! Tam