Thank you all for your comments on "Breaking the Binkie." We did it slowly and over two weeks. The first week, not using it for nap time, and the second, not using it at all. We discussed it for a week or so before starting, so Jun was pretty much on board before we started. While we were in the midst of "breaking the binkie," I read this post from "Do they have salsa in China." The comments were quite interesting!
A few interesting "extras" came about as Jun quit using her binkie. First, her attachment to all of the rest of her bed menagerie and blankies became less severe. She would wake up in the morning and come into the kitchen...ALONE! She just seemed more mature all around. Many of my Japanese friends here nurse till their babies are around two years old. When they wean the children, they see a sudden growth in maturity and independence that they all comment on in wonder. Seems like breaking the binkie kind of had the same results in Jun.
Right after the binkie habit was broken, Jun came down with a mild case of the "runs." I reminded her that using her diaper during this time would just make things "owie", and told her she should use the potty. She has been "practicing" using the potty for 9 months or so. Or not practicing, as we had "boycotting of potty time" too. Anyway, I put her in "big girl undies," and ... she is potty trained. Once again, I don't know how this happened. Other than, Jun decided, so Jun did it. I wonder if I am really parenting this child, or should just sit back on the sofa and watch.
Well, since things were going so well, I decided to once again tackle the "sleep situation" we have battled unsuccessfully for, well two years and eight months, now! It is not a terrible situation, but one I think should be "adjusted" before Jun turns three, for various family reasons. Anyway, I sat on our bed, put her in her futon (right next to our bed), and told her to go to sleep, while I read a book. Just like they do in "Goodnight Moon." Well, when I make changes, I tend to start at nap time, but, after two 1/2 days of crying and playing and...not going to sleep till Mama got firm, I gave up the good fight, and lay down with her again. My reasoning? Well, Jun is a toddler, and we don't spend much time cuddling during the awake hours because, Jun is on the go. So, we cuddle, she goes to sleep, sometimes I do to, and ... we wait for another day to, try try again!

No comments:
Post a Comment