Friday, May 29, 2009

Cutting the Stress

There are some things I have started or done recently to cut the stress on me and my family. Not big stress things, just irritating things. So, I thought I'd tell you all about them!!!

  • We bought a kitchen/dining table for 500 yen - 5 USD! I blogged about this earlier, but last night as Ryu was at our 18 inch counter preparing the yaki-niku with the last of the sauce he calls Megu's Megumi (Megu's Mom made it for us!), I stood at the table and cut vegetables! Two work stations in our kitchen! SOOOOOOO wonderful!
  • I was talking with two different Japanese friends at different times. It was getting on towards dinner time so I asked what they were going to make for dinner. Both had already made dinner that MORNING!?!?!?! I was speechless. Then, realizing I am much more energetic in the morning than in the evening, started making most of our dinners in the morning. And it's fun!
  • As dinner is made in the morning, Jun and I have time in the evenings to PICK UP before Daddy gets home! This makes DADDY soooooo happy! Us too!
  • Along the dinner lines, I started making weekly menus again - after three years! HAHAHA! Though I love to read recipes on the internet, I don't have THAT much time to prepare menus. So, each week I take a different cookbook down, flip through it, make out a menu and shopping list, and - after shopping - am good to go. Ryu is SOOO happy! I use one cookbook, so I only have to write a page number for the recipe. Lazy!?!? And, I add internet recipes as I remember them.
  • I said I would get progressive lenses (glasses) if a baby came to us. But, three years ago, still no baby. So, I got my regular distance/eye stress glasses and have made do with about 5-6 pairs of reading glasses over the last three years. With a baby who is "almost three!", this has been a bit stressful. I have different strength reading glasses for each kind of distance. Computer, reading, general seeing at close distances, etc. And I can NEVER find the ones I need. And, sometimes can just never find ANY of them. I am always asking Ryu or Jun to help me find my glasses. And, that just gets old for them and me. Too much time wasted. So, I bit the bullet and now have a pair of progressive lenses. The first afternoon I was fine. The next day was great. The day after that I couldn't see anything at all. I have not been in focus for years, so my eyes and mind need to remember to CARE that things CAN be in focus if I move my head just the right way. But, what a relief!
  • I also went to a long-delayed doctors appt. The "yearly exam" has been put off for about 4 years! Getting caught up on these things removes one more boring conversation topic and fears of...what if!
  • Yesterday, as I was collapsed on the couch after dinner and wearily getting Jun ready for bed, I realized again how much happier my evenings are on the days I can take a nap with Jun. It means NO "Kim-only" time, but, with my nap, I enjoy my family MUCH MUCH more!
  • I made a "wardrobe" for Jun out of a rather deep book-case. I put three drawers in it for undies/socks, and one for pj's, and one for fall sweaters. I put a curtain rod in the middle section to hang her beautiful dresses (Thanks M, A, and H!), so she can easily reach and select a dress - she usually wears dresses everyday now - with pants if it is cold!
  • Ryu called our Realtor twice this past month and we have new screens on all our windows and a new door handle on the bath!!!! YEAH! Big irritations GONE!
  • I have a policy for Jun to have an adult friend with her in the Phonics class, so I can actually teach and not just chase Jun around the room! Thanks everyone!
  • Jun has been telling me "no" in Japanese over the last year, and it never has bothered me. This past week she started looking me in the eye and telling me "no" in English! THAT hit a button. I was speechless! Then I prayed and took a clue from Jun. When I tell Jun "no" she often asks me why. So, when she tells me "no", I answer with a "why?" And it has resulted in interesting conversations and less "no's" recently.
  • OH, and for anyone with little kids, this is a GREAT STRESS RELIEVER!!! Jun LOVES to blow bubbles. In the bath, outside, ANYWHERE! And, it seems we are ALWAYS out of bubbles liquid. And the stores around us sell it in tiny tiny bottles only. I've not found a re-fill jug yet! The other day my dear friend Kaoru showed me how to make some with stuff I actually have in my kitchen. Put 2-3 drops of dish soap in the little bottle, add a bit of water, put about 1/16-1/8 tsp. of katakuriko - potato starch (I wonder if corn starch would work too?) in, add a little more water, shake it up and wait for a couple of minutes. This makes STRONG bubbles Jun holds in her hand! YEAH!

What else? Hmmm. A few more areas of stress to DEAL with are getting the full year prepped for my Toddler's and Phonics classes. The prepping in general is not bad at all, but...first the church's CD player died. So, I carry our portable Walkman to church each week (only forgotten once so far), and connect it to speakers, and... Then I tried to burn CD's of just the songs I wanted to use on that day. And the CD player doesn't read CD-RW CD's apparently. And yesterday my computer refused to burn to CD-R discs when it had done so quite nicely only a few weeks ago. Ate two CD's. Next the OHP died, so I have to print out copies of the song lyrics (the class is really for the Mamas to learn the songs and dances and do them at home with their kiddos), and make enlarged copies at the Convenience Store, tape them together, etc. So, the OTHER stresses are driving me crazy with those classes again.

A trip to the dentist is also on my to-do list. Hmmmm. Oh, and COSTCO is coming to a station "near" us soon!!!!! That will be sooooo nice - I hope!

Well, do you have any tips or projects you are doing to make your life easier?

7 comments:

Grandma said...

Grandpa says ATVing is great for stress. I can agree, except for the when he chased the bear, and I was riding on the back. two more weeks and he can go again!

shinshu life said...

Ok I gotta ask what ATVing is- your mum was riding on the back of a bear????

I hear you on destressing. Little little things that are oh so easily fixed that you can't believe how long you put up with it the stressful way, huh? Glad we could help a little and trust me it works both ways- passing on a whole boxful of clothes is a huge destresser for me!

Oh and not to disappoint Ryu but our Meg has different kanji- 萌. She's still a blessing though (well most of the time!)

Megu in Kobe said...

Megu's Megumi...Wow, that's so nice! My mom said that she'll make the sauce for you ANYTIME!! She's so glad that you and your family enjoyed it.

Gina said...

Ohhh I am loving this post Kim!!!!

I make weekly dinner menus too. I do this because it actually (for my case) saves me time. The day before I go to the store, I sit down and think of, what sounds good, or what maybe we haven't eaten in a while. And things come to mind. I come up with 6 meals, usually 1 we can have leftovers with, so that makes 7 meals worth. When I go to the store, I get only the things/ingredients I need for said meals. And then a few breakfast things, lunch things like cup of soups type stuff. Breads and fruit. But mainly sticking to my list helps me. And whatever I make that week, I know I have the ingredients for. It is a life saver for me. I might run down mid week to get extra milk or maybe some fresh bread but 99% of our food comes from that 1 big weekly shop.

On Wednesday's majority of the time I make dinner in the mornings. And I don't do it because I am super duper, I just do it because, I know Wednesday nights is swim club night and if we have any hope of eating a proper meal, I make it in the morning. Nothing fancy just like, a big pot of curry or a pot of cream stew. Chicken noodle soup is what I made last Wednesday. And we came home heated up the homemade soup and made grilled cheese to go with. I usually only do this once a week or twice a week tops, meaning the cooking in the mornings stuff. But it does help me Wednesdays for sure. And like you said, it takes the stress of...."oh geeze it's now 6:20pm, it's so late, yet we just left the swim club, what can I whip up now?" It's simple because dinner's been made already. So it's like a relief for me.

About dentist appts. Noah went to his 1/2 a year cleaning last Friday. Clean bill of health regarding his teeth, Branden goes this week for his cleaning. Branden's never had a cavity or anything. Phew. Good luck on your dental appointment. : )

PS, about the yearly exam, I am going in July and I am a bit nervous about the breast exam machine here in Japan. I used to get the yearly exam in America and they would manually feel for any lumps or things that shouldn't be there. But I heard they have a machine here and it hurts? I hope it doesn't hurt. : ( Am feeling a bit stressed already about that machine. @_@

Have a good week Kim!!! : )

shinshu life said...

Oops- you know more than one Megumi. And I just realised I didn't send you any sauce anyway. Derhhh!

Hope you're getting this sunny weather!

Kim said...

Good Monday everyone! I got the menus made for the week and the shopping list - forgetting bread - thanks, Gina. The sun just came out, and I can do laundry!!!

Mom - thanks for stopping by!

thefukases - ATV = All Terrain Vehicle - and, luckily my Mom wasn't riding on the back of the bear, but on the back of my Dad's ATV and HE was chasing the bear. I'd say mid-life crisis, but...

And we are so enjoying your girls' dresses!

Don't worry about the sauce! SMILE! What does Meg's kanji mean?

Oh, and the SUN just NOW came out!!! I can hang some laundry out!!! AND - those cucumbers have been up to something! There are two flowers. NOW what do I do???

Megu in Kobe - Hi! No swine flu near you, I hope! Yep, your Mom's sauce takes THE cake!!!

Gina - You always have such good time and money saving ideas! I love to read your blog. The recent post about DIY - ahhh, I loved it! And about the exam machine - it's called a mamography machine. And, I hear it is a bit painful. Might Google it for some reassuring info! (Me too!)

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Great ideas, Kim. I especially love the creative wardrobe idea.

I plan to whip menus into shape again once we are settled and I discover the new options for food. I'm dreaming of fresh produce and fish markets. ::snort::

One other idea....packing it all and living in a trailer seems to cut out a lot of daily stress. ::snort::

Sorry we are missing you in OR and on the plane to Japan.....maybe when the kids fly in to see us I can come up and meet them in Tokyo...