After a nice day with Jun on Monday, I began to think about why Jun's pace was so restful, though we traveled all over Tokyo.
First, we didn't run, but ambled. That helped. And, unlike at home, we just did one thing at a time. I wasn't running around doing laundry, cleaning the kitchen, making granola, working on the computer, etc, etc. at the same time that I was asking her to help fold the socks and clean up her books and and and and. We just did one thing at a time. When we got off the train, we started to look for the next one. Got off the bus, looked for the station, etc. One thing at a time.
My husband is, as another blogger recently wrote about HER husband, a man with great tunnel vision. Though it drives me crazy at times, he DOES finish one task before starting another. Now, I think I can get LOTS more done in one day than he does...but NOTHING is completely finished.
So, though I've been a bit proud of my ability to multi-task, and really enjoy the exhilaration of being BUSY and USING my time fully...I think I've been deceiving myself. The stress I felt on Sunday was a good reminder. I have a few long months (years?) to go before our family is fully settled in the US. Running at top speed and in circles won't be helpful!
That being said, I think multi-tasking is a habit that is a bit hard to break. My husband says women HAVE to multi-task. Well, probably not all women, but if one is to do child care, work part time and have dinner on the table at night, some multi-tasking is necessary...but I would rather have peace than a clean house. (Ryu might have other opinions on this! HAHAH!)
So, one step at a time. I'll try to pace myself and enjoy the journey of our international move and relocation and "new life." And NOT stress my child out in the process!!!

1 comment:
Sounds like a good plan!
Isn't neat the way God made men and women so different, yet so complimentary?
Post a Comment