Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Stuff and RC

Really. Stuff. As I think I wrote while we were getting ready to move, all the stuff we gave away and threw away is really just stuff, so... Imagine my surprise when one of the first waves of Reverse Culture Shock had to do with our stuff!

Although the "stuff" we had in Japan wasn't all that great or expensive, after Ryu and I got married, together we decided what we needed, checked prices all around, found the "stuff" that would work best for us and slowly accumulated stuff that we USED! As is the case in many Japanese apartments, there wasn't room for lots of stuff, so we were pretty choosy. And, it was OUR stuff.

So, as I walked through a store the other day and saw the prices we would have to pay to replace our stuff - the necessary stuff - I so longed to go to the recycle shop (thrift store) we gave lots of our stuff to in Japan! Pretty overwhelming to replace an entire married life time of stuff and, even a small apartment full of stuff.

We are off to our new place today. It needs lots of love. Even then it won't be my ideal anything. But, we have decided to shop for one room at a time. Maybe that will help me from getting too overwhelmed and leaving the store without anything at all!

3 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

One room at a time - very good plan. Praying for you as you start over.

Shoko said...

Kim chan,

I am glad that you got your home
safely!
Pray that God helps you to choose
all the best things in your new house.
Today, we will have an entrance ceremony of 'Ouchi-en' instead of Youchi-en inviting my parents and
Minori and Sayaka.
Cherry blossoms are blooming so beautifully.
We miss you!

shinshu life said...

Ahhhhh stuff......

I hope you find new stuff without too much stress and stuff. ;P

One room at a time sounds doable and an adventure as well- all those unfurnished rooms to explore (Jun) and dream about the possibilities (all of you!)