Tuesday, June 29, 2010

School Daze

Well, where to start? When my friends in Japan were sending their "tiny little three year olds" to pre-school this spring, I looked at Jun and said "NEVER." I think I would like to have some cinnamon and sugar sprinkled over my words before I have to eat them. Or on my foot before I stick it in my mouth. When will I learn that my "never" is usually a bit too firm?

So, now that we are here in the US, I have had people tell me how smart Jun is. What mother doesn't love to hear and BELIEVE that? But, she was looking pretty smart to me too. I was thinking that I was going to start homeschooling her in pre-school or kindergarten this summer or fall because of how much she was enjoying learning and practicing school stuff.

Then I was told of a "Kindergarten Morning" at the school in the small town where Ryu works. Well, I thought, and I called the teacher to see if she could visit the "five-year-old-kindergarten" day. She said, "yes." So, Jun went. This is a small town and a small school and about 5 children were looking into Kindergarten that day. I cried all the way home after she dismissed me about 30 minutes into the morning. "I can't let my BABY go yet!"

She loved the day and the teacher said she did great. So, the next day she got tested. Kids have to come up with one of the 3-4 answers for questions that someone educational in the government? maybe? came up with. Jun's answer to "What are 3 things you see in the sky?" didn't get a point. She said, birds, helicopters, teddy bears. When asked why she shouldn't fight with her friends on the playground, she said, "because it is rude." She didn't get a point for that either! But, she DID get enough points to pass very very highly.

The next step was for me to attend a school board meeting to see if they would accept her a whole year early. The teacher told me they would refuse her, but I thought - we've come this far, I can attend a meeting. Well, weeks before the meeting, Jun made a new friend named, D___. When she was introduced to D___ she ran to get a book she had that had a character the same name as D___. She and D___ became fast friends. Then, the night before the school board meeting, she made another friend, K___. Who just happens to work at the school. (For those of you who speak Japanese - nemawashi by a clueless 3 year old - she's 4 now.)

At the meeting the teacher made the proposal to allow Jun to enter Kindergarten. Her academic skills more than make her ready. Then a school board member asked if she was ready socially. Well, I was surprised to find that both D___ and K___ were at the meeting. They laughed. YES, they said, SHE IS READY! The teacher said she is more advanced socially than many kids who are of the "proper" age to enter. So, they passed and Jun will enter Kindergarten this fall.

My feelings? Oh, they are so so mixed. But, there are two bottom lines and only one Kim. The first bottom line is that Jun needs educational and social stimulation (both of which I would LOVE to provide for her through homeschooling and adventures with friends, etc.) However, the second bottom line is that Ryu MUST have me at the place he is learning to make boots at so that I can translate and learn about boots too. So, that is where the rubber meets the road. So, while Jun is at school, I will be about 500 yards away helping Ryu learn a new trade and me also the business side of the trade.

On a side note - it looks like there will be 3 Kindergartners, and 2 will be early enrollers. They will be in a classroom with 1st and maybe 2nd graders. So, the kids will be able to read at their own level, etc. I hope it is as good as it could be!

So, that's how and why Jun is going to Kindergarten this fall. I'm sure I'll have more mixed posts on this in the future. But, for those of you waiting for this post! I WROTE it!!! Thanks for asking!

6 comments:

shinshu life said...

Ohhhhh it's an emotional rollercoaster and it just keeps on going. I swear the kids get used to school *months* before the mummies!

It sounds like a great place to go to school though- same age peers and older kids to allow her to stretch academically as well.

ganbarre!

Gina said...

Congratulations to Junnie! You know Kim, from reading all the lovely bits and pieces about Jun through your blog all these years. I always knew she was a pretty smart cookie! ; ) She's definitely way beyond her years.

And for what it's worth, I was also a bit sad when both Branden and also when Noah started yochien. Sort of bittersweet. Proud yet at the same time...thinking all the while "wow how did he grow SO fast?"

I will be looking forward to reading all about Jun's kindy adventures.

Tracy said...

Wow! Jun will do great.
And you will, too, Kimmee!

Unknown said...

Good for Jun! And good for the family. Glad to see that God is working it all out for you! :)

Abigail (aka Mamatouille) said...

Wow! Kim, blessings on all of you as you transition! That's great that Jun is so excited about it all! I know she'll do great and you all will adjust quickly. My mama-heart hears your emotions, though.

Kim said...

I got an e-mail a few days ago saying school starts Aug 23rd. I got a bit watery. Jun came and gave me a big long hug - beating errr patting me on the back. Then she went back to washing her shoes with Daddy, and announced, "Mama's crying because she loves me sooooo much." I guess that just about sums it all up!