Jun reminded me many times yesterday that "Today is C!" But, we chose to do S - Sledding! Gotta sled when there is sun and snow! So, today we did "C"! In case you missed an earlier post, this is part of our Advent activities. "C" is to make a candle. We did a double "C". We did a Crayon Candle. And DADDY DID ONE TOO! This made me very happy! Can you guess whose cut up crayons are whose? FYI - this is a silicone muffin pan that I used for a mold. They popped out very very well!

Jun's is the upper left. She cut up many many colors of crayons. Ryu's is lower left. He mainly used oranges and pinks and cut them very finely. Mine is the lower right. I used traditional Christmas colors. Blue, Red, Green, White and Yellow. Then (see below) I cut up a candle I bought at the grocery store. Perhaps I could have used paraffin...but I didn't think of it.

At a friend's suggestion, I emptied a can of apricots, washed and dried it well, bent it to give it a spout, set it on a canning jar ring (a cookie cutter would probably do), in a couple of inches of water. I kept the heat to medium and waited for the white candle to melt.

Then I gently poured the white wax over the crayon bits. I guess you can see I re-used the wick in the white candle for two of the candles and used wax thread for the third.

When we got home from town, I popped them out of the muffin tin and here they are: Ryu's Mine, and Jun's. Ryu's color crayons were cut very finely, so there are many loose ones on the top. Mine and Jun's are a bit solider. However, the tops that you see here are actually the bottom, so...the pretty part of the candles won't melt in a hurry! Especially as I haven't allowed FIRE in the house yet.

So, that's our "C" Crayon Candle Re-make!
Can one "Deck the Halls" with Origami Angels? Next is "D."
1 comment:
I love this idea. I may do this when we get home - but wait....we can't light candles in our house. Maybe for gifts to those who CAN light candles. LOL
Post a Comment