Jun and I went sledding today. Yep. I sled (sic) too! I was going to send Jun down on the sled with her friend. However, she has never sledded (?) before - other than Grandpa pulling her around the yard and me pulling her to church. Never been down a HILL! So, of course, I took her down. And it was fun. So I went down with my friend's son too. And it was fun. And I WOULD have gone down by myself, but it seemed a bit selfish! WOW! Sledding is really fun! And you should have seen the wipe outs! Thus, the title of today's post!
There is, of course, a lot of things to be said for youth. However, young people feel a whole lot more pain a whole lot sooner after ridiculous physical activity than older people do. Often an older person will feel pain 2-3 or even more days after the physical activity. By that time they have completely forgotten that they even DID anything special. So, they don't remember that they are AWESOME for having done something amazing. They just look for the Ben-Gay and wonder about the pains of aging.
Younger people limp around the next day, moaning and groaning about the miles they ran, the mountains they climbed and the rivers they swam. Memory AND pain! And a bit of gloating, I think.
So, we'll see just how old I AM! When will the pain begin? Am I old or young? WILL I remember that I climbed mountains and slid down them on a red plastic boat sled? Will I remember how we cut new trails into the frozen snow? Will I remember the beautiful blue sky and the sun shining down on our faces as we collapsed at the bottom of the hill? Will I remember the laughter after that one spectacularly wonderful crash? Will I remember the cheers as we watched each other go further and further and further down the hill and across the field?
That's what blogging is for. To help one remember, even if the pain doesn't come for a few days!

1 comment:
I am 69 years old and have many of the ailments that accompany one of many years. I told my husband the others day that Ben-Gay is the purfume of the elderly. But I am so thankful every day that that the Lord has allowed my to live this long. My parents are 89 and 86 and just clelbrated their 70th wedding anniversary.
Yes, we have pain, but I wouldn't trade anything for the experiences I have. Love your blog and have followed you since just before you left Japan. Jun is a daring little girl.
Wilma in WV
Post a Comment