Growing up, procrastination always seemed to happen. More to some than others, but... It wasn't until I was "older" and read about this stress-enhancing trait, that I began to understand it a little better.
I know folks who are totally into this way of life, but I'll stick with my own story, though I am pretty much on the light end of the spectrum. The basic theory was that people who are perfectionists procrastinate so that they can have an excuse for a poorer performance than what they would usually allow themselves. "I didn't have TIME to do MY best on the paper." I never went that far, but did many "night-before" papers.
The article I read this morning is about a 12-step program for Under Achievers.
I can't figure out how to put any of it on this post without typing it all in...(under achiever that I am), so please take a look if you are interested.
Anyway, this article made me think. Our life now, after decades of hustle and bustle, is pretty low key. I work at home about 10 hours a week or so. Currently Ryu is working from home too. Learning and doing leather projects for paying friends. Jun is home schooled. She doesn't attend any outside activities other than church. We haven't left home in 2-3 days because of the snow, but...even then we usually just go uptown to the library or park.
So, are we underachievers, are we just tired, have we just chosen to live by our own priorities in the face of society's expectations, or is this the luck of the draw? I can probably write arguments for and against each of these in our life.
I guess I will cherish this quiet time we have as a family, but keep examining the reasons we have made the lifestyle choices we have. And if we are just becoming lazy bums, or if we start living off the state or family...we will kick each other in the tail and step up life's busy'ness a notch or two.
How about you? Are you satisfied with your production level and quality of your life?

2 comments:
Gutsy to live counter-culture, but I think it is worth it for you guys! Maybe you'll decide your pendulum has swung a little wide, after coming from Tokyo, but you'll find your balance! Good for you!
I vote that you are living according to your priorities....CHERISH. LOL
Post a Comment