Monday, January 3, 2011

It's COLD!!!

We were outside for a few hours today trying to fix our laundry system. Basically, the hot water hose burst a month or so ago and flooded the whole floor and shed (and bunnie's home under the floor, I'm sure - though I had no chance to ask them.) Then we've had trouble with the washer washing after it filled with cold water. Today's fun was that no water would even go into the washer. And right about then, we noticed the water leaking from the hose where it attaches to the cold water faucet. A lot. And the faucet couldn't be turned off. Sooooo, thinking of the bunnies and all, I called the city and they came and turned off the water - in about 5 minutes. I do love many things about small town life. Then I made two trips up to the hardware store to get the correct parts and return the incorrect ones. Ryu went next door and borrowed two pipe wrenches and a handful of other wrenchlike wrenches. And, with my Dad on Skype for 2 1/2 hours talking us through various stages of changing a faucet (don't forget the tape!) and attaching the tubes...we called the water man and he came and turned the water back on for us. And...we had a washer...that didn't work still!!! So, we put the heater on the floor of the laundry room and waited an hour. Now it works. At least the washer is filling...I so hope it does it's whole thing properly!!!! So, that's the pipe wrench story.



The next two stories are language stories. Believe me, Ryu laughed along with us all when we told him!!

My niece was telling Uncle Ryu about this new horse she was going to buy. She was so excited! It was 6 years old and it was broke and they only wanted $400 for it. Uncle Ryu could not IMAGINE why anybody would spend $400 on a broken horse! We laughed and laughed.

One morning Ryu came to me and was very worried. When he 'd been putting Jun to bed the night before, she'd been talking away like usual. He understood that her teacher while she was at kindergarten had made her get into some kind of a position like an upside down cross. He wondered if there had been some...strange things happening there. I talked to Jun. It turns out her teacher uses the phrase "criss cross applesauce" when she wanted the kids to sit cross legged - unless they are wearing skirts, of course! Boy was Ryu relieved!

Jun stories? Well, last night she said, "Mama, I think you need to cut the hairs on my knees. They are getting long." I did well and didn't laugh out loud! I think the hairs on my knees could use a bit of attention too!

Jun did a few days of stress hives between Christmas and New Years. Caused Ryu and I A LOT of stress, we were so worried about her. Things seem to be settled down now, so...we need our boring lifestyle, I guess!

Shopping story!!! We found a store in Boise that sells important staples for our family! Like natto (fermented soy beans) at a reasonable price - only 3 times what we paid in Japan. They are frozen, so kind of soft, but Jun is very happy and has no desire to share with anyone! They also had yakisoba - at a reasonable price!!! With real Japanese chemical powder to put in the noodles. We couldn't have been happier. They also had kakinotane (spicy rice crackers with peanuts). Jun is ecstatic! Oh, and mochi for New Year's!

Fuyu futori family!!! We have all added pounds (yes, probably even kilos) so far this winter. Being housebound is part of it. Eating is the other part! ARGH!!!

In other news...hmmm...we started homeschooling today. Jun is doing very well. She learned a lot during our long winter vacation. I don't think I will be quite as "hishi" (crazy?) about getting everything done every day as I was in the fall. She learns from everyone and everything! And long a with a silent e seems to have clicked! YEAH!

Just wanted to let you know we are alive and well, though freezing!!! Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Abigail (aka Mamatouille) said...

I LOVE your stories!!!

Akemashite omedetou, guys!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Delightful post. Please tell Ryu, we love reading about his adjustments...helps me understand why we bring such delight to our local friends.