Saturday, October 23, 2010

CAR, CAR, CAR

Sometimes I think my English is coming right along. As I am still teaching my students in Japan, I often feel so confident that I am now teaching them REAL English phrases, etc.

But, sometimes it doesn't come right along and, then THIS happens:

A friend and I and our two kids were driving on the freeway in Idaho. For some reason Idaho thinks that the tiny part of this section of the freeway that ISN'T under construction, should have a speed limit of 70 mph. Well, that is too fast! Unless one is speeding, one should not feel pressured to drive so fast! And, the freeway had about 3 lanes in this particular span. My friend and I were chatting and she started to change lanes to her left. I was turned to look at her and saw the car in her blind spot that she didn't see. And I started shouting, "CAR, CAR, CAR!" All the time thinking that there MUST be a more natural way to express the fact that she is about to side swipe a car and that she shouldn't be changing lanes right now, and...that I sounded a lot like that guy on that TV show that yelled, "Da PLANE, Da Plane!"

Well, anyway, she got my drift, avoided the car and got us all home safe and sound. But I have thought of that incident often. Not about her driving, but about my English. WHAT DO AMERICANS say in that situation?!?!?!

I found out the other day. I was driving this time. We had been out with our kids delivering Meals on Wheels. I was stopped at a stop sign, saw a big truck coming that had its blinker on and started to pull out to give it a little more room. She didn't see the blinker and grabbed my shoulder and yelled, "WATCH OUT!" Her son informed her that the truck's blinker WAS on. But, I was just delighted! THAT'S what one should holler when you want someone to avoid disaster! Now I know!

5 comments:

Gina said...

I am enjoying your getting used to being and living back in America postings. They're wonderful. You are doing well with all the adjustments.

As for what do we usually say? Well this American, usually in emergency type situations, also screams...WATCH OUT! or.... LOOK OUT! Something along those lines. : )

PS, I think it's wonderful that you are delivering for "Meals on Wheels" that's a very good organization. They do so much good in this world.

PSS..now I'm going to be thinking about "Fantasy Island" tonight. : )

Abigail (aka Mamatouille) said...

Kim, even a year on I still get tongue-tied and wonder what in the world I'm supposed to say. Sometimes I think it in Japanese and then have to make myself spit out the English, in whatever form it happens to be. Sometimes not very natural. And I guess I probably get looks from people still. Or maybe I'm just imagining the looks? Who knows! Paranoid AND tongue-tied! What a combo! :)

shinshu life said...

Ahhh you are all so logical and literate when panicking. I am lucky if I can strangle out a CARRRRRRR!!! Most of the time it's just AGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!! and lots of pointing. In fact, I'm probably better off not saying anything, yeah?

Kim said...

Gina - Thanks! "Look OUT!" will definately be added to my list. And, I couldn't remember the name Fantasy Island for the life of me!

Abigail - Yeah, especially about the "feeling paranoid" part. Just lately I have stopped feeling like the stupidest person in the world! That makes it easier to try "new" things that are OLD to everyone else!

Heather - It's so good to hear from you! All those great screams of "ABUNAIIIIIII" don't seem to work so well here! You'd think these folks could READ MY MIND! Oh, and Jun was looking all over the map for Australia the other day. Too bad it was a map of the United States! LOL!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

LOL we tend to go with CAR, CAR, CAR around here. LOL

You know it's been hard to drive in Japan as some of the normal behaviors are different.....people up here STOP suddenly, before they turn off the freeways.....so yeah - car, car, car is about what I hear. LOL