Is "gobsmacked" a word? How about "blindsided?" How about "kicked in the stomach?"
How about, "Just when I thought I knew what I was doing - THIS happens." How about, "Kim, you are SOOOOO overreacting!" This last is probably the whole entire truth. But, let me tell you THIS story!
There were basically two ways to pay bills - that I knew of - in Japan. Pre-marriage, I took all of my bills to the local convenience store, the post office's bank, or the real bank. Post-marriage, we did automatic pay where the bills were paid right out of our savings account (no checking in Japan.) Come to think of it, I guess some of our bills were paid through our credit card. So, three ways. And, we were very "analog" about all that. We never used the internet for banking or for transferring funds. Only to check our credit card balance.
Well, when we go to the US, banking by computer seems to be THE way to go. So, with much brain pulling, I got our accounts set up, and we got on the computer. I pay lots of our bills on the computer. Some I have to input each month. Some come out automatically. And some...come out of our checking account via the credit card portion of our ATM card!
Now, I would just like to say this about credit card portions of ATM cards. And that is ????????????? If you can't get a "real" credit card, why would a bank let you have an ATM card that even SAYS "VISA" on it? Yes, this is where my "gobsmacked" originated.
Back in April, when I was still living in a fog, I signed up for our internet. And, apparently I used the VISA part of our ATM card to do this. So, it is an automatic payment THROUGH the VISAish card. This was all well and good...until I lost my ATM card in our tiny one-bedroom house. It is still lost. Of course, I cancelled it and got a new one with a new number. Never EVER thinking about the Internet payment - or any other payment, for that matter. Then I opened my internet bill today. Two months of no payments! Warnings about turning off our internet service, etc! I panicked! I called the company and they kept talking about the VISA card I used to set up the account. I kept saying, I HAVE no VISA card! Ahhhhh. Well, I guess I do/did. So, hopefully we got it all straightened out.
But, my heart and day crashed with this "failure." It's really not that big of a deal. But, I guess lately, I have been feeling like I am swimming with my head out of the water, and then to have someone jerk my leg and send me drowning again...it stings!
Hopefully writing this post will lighten my heart for the rest of the day!!!
Happy Banking

5 comments:
that's rough!! *hugs*
i think the ATM/debit card visa thing started because people wanted to use their debit cards at places that didn't accept them--but did accept visa cards. does that make sense? so, it may say "visa", but it's not a credit card, just a debit card for your bank. i have one, and if i could ever remember my PIN number, i could make cash advances that would come out of my american (checking) account. of course, that would mean a lot of fees, so i guess it's a good thing i can never remember my PIN!!
Kim, you are NOT a dodo-head! There is just such a steep learning curve with re-entry culture shock/stress. We are finding the shock is lessening after a year back but the underlying stress is still there--not to depress you but to encourage you! You are not alone and I hope writing your post gave you some relief and got it off your chest. Love and hugs from Seattle!
Aww Kim, I hear ya. All that banking stuff makes my eyes glaze over too.
You're getting readjusted to living back in the US after many years of living in Japan. It's going to take some time. Even me..if I moved back, I am sure I would be having many a bumps in the road and many things for me to get reused to. If it helps...I think you're doing a pretty great job at things. : )
Thanks for your kind comments, friends! I woke up this morning to a screen saying - no more Internet for YOU! I'm glad I had gotten some heads up yesterday about the issue. I called this morning and they had me back online in about 3 minutes! YEAH!
Illahee - I never thought about that with the ATM visa thing! Now I get it!
Dad does all of our banking and bill paying on the computer. I understand nothing about it. Long may he live! What was so bad about writing checks, or paying cash?
Post a Comment