I was perfectly shocked the other day. By myself, in fact. I was somewhere and Christmas music came on. And I suddenly felt an insane homesickness for Japan! Japan and Christmas and homesickness???
I was used to the US's frenzied December Christmas party, shopping, church events and all out craziness of Christmas when, in October, I went to Japan to live for a year - ended up being 2. So, I thought I'd be fine missing a Christmas at home. It was the worst Christmas of my entire life. At that Christmas I realized - for the first time - that Christmas, for me, was my FAMILY!
So, I didn't miss a Christmas at home for years after that. Then, about 13 or 14 years ago, I moved back to Japan, in the fall again, for 6 months - THAT turned into 10 years. Going home for Christmas just 2 months after spending all that money to come to Japan is/was just silly, so I spent that and the next 9 Christmases or so in Japan.
The first of those Christmases shocked me again! Ryu and I - not yet dating, but friending - left a Christmas Eve party at church and were walking to the station. I saw men hurriedly taking down Christmas banners and decorations from the Isetan (big department) building and putting up New Years' stuff. On CHRISTMAS EVE!!! Quite surprised!
But, i really did enjoy my subsequent Christmases in Japan. I enjoyed the chances to talk to my students about the beginning of Christmas from the Bible. I enjoyed having mini parties for them and cooking treats that were new to so many people. I felt like Christmas in Japan was more of a "real Christmas" than Christmas in the States - especially as there is not much emphasis in Japan on shopping or gift giving. Good old Santa just brings one gift per kid in Japan, you know.
Then came Christmas with our very own kiddo! Wow! That makes Christmas extra special. When Jun was 2 we finally made it home for Christmas! It snowed Christmas Eve and was wonderful, quiet, spiritual, special and delicious. We shared dinner with a wonderful couple, the husband of which is now looking down on us from heaven.
Suddenly a Family Christmas in the US seemed to be the most wonderful of all! Now that we are here in the US - why would I become homesick for or miss Christmas in Japan??!?!?! Maybe it is Reverse Culture Shock? Maybe we all miss what we've grown used to. Maybe nostalgia is just unexplainable. Maybe I'm just going crazy?
Anyway, we know where we will put our tree. We have the sled ready for snow. I plan to reteach Jun my simplified Christmas Cantata for Kiddos, and, yep, I miss my students and friends something awful! So strange!
Thankful: For the great day we had, watching corn get harvested, meeting new people, and having lunch with Grandma and Grandpa. The school where we played had the coolest see-saw! Even Grandpa and Grandma rode it!

3 comments:
Kim, I have been enjoying your posts on reverse culture shock and you adjustment to being back in the US. Since I haven't been in the US for Christmas in 12 years, I can imagine what you are feeling.
I think I would definitely miss what Christmas has become for us over here if we were to suddenly leave. Looking back to how terribly homesick I felt that first time I wasn't able to fly back to the US it seems impossible that I wouldn't jump at the chance to be there now. It really is all about the traditions we have made with our family - and little by little the ones with our immediate family start to take on the most meaning. Since you have your family with you this time around during your adjustment, I have a feeling it will be a little easier. ;o)
We miss you guys, and hope that your first Christmas back in the US turns out to be a wonderful and memorable one!
I understand. I do enjoy the less frantic pace of December in Japan....and I know that there are things that I will miss terribly when we leave....and we've not been here for years and years.
I find strange moments of homesickness for America hit me from time to time.
Sue - yep, you and your immediate family have made so many great traditions! I miss you, them, the traditions we got to share a bit of last year and...yep...the COOKIES!!!
Post a Comment