Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Mars and Venus? I'm a True Believer!

Ryu's main "job" is studying English these days. He goes to the local Community College and attends their ESOL class for advanced students. There are usually about four students in the class. The teacher was born and raised in Hiroshima! I have to laugh. There are NO native English speakers in THAT room. That does allow them to have interesting discussions, however. More than grammar and vocabulary, they talk about communication - the way Americans' communicate verses people in their home cultures. Being in a bi-lingual, bi-cultural marriage, this is pretty interesting for ME too.

Well, anyway, Ryu's conversation partner in this group is a Spanish speaker from Peru. He is a few years older than Ryu and seems to be a very hard worker. Yesterday Ryu came home and said that they had stood out in the street after class and talked (in English - of course!) for an hour!

I asked, "Is he married?" Ryu said, "I didn't ask."
I asked, "Does he have any kids?" Ryu said, "I didn't ask."
I asked, "How long has he been in the US?" Ryu said, "I didn't ask."

The ONLY question that I asked that Ryu knew the answer to was what the man is doing now. And, I suspect Ryu didn't ask that, but the man volunteered. No Japanese man that I know would ever ask what someone else did for a living!

My last question, "What DID they talk about for an hour?????"

Thankfulness: We went to Boise today! Only the second time I've driven there in our six months here. It was a beautiful day and the fall leaves were gorgeous. And, even though Boise seems to have lost all of its Panda Expresses, we enjoyed our search and had a great and relaxing day together!

4 comments:

Gina said...

Mars and Venus is right, I'm with ya.

Men sure don't communicate the way us women folk do. Ha ha ha. : )

For what it's worth....Noboru fishes every week down the road. He has an acquaintance, some guy who is about the same age, but also fishes there often when Noboru does. Noboru says they chat sometimes while they fish across the creek from one another. So, I asked Noboru...."what's his name?" Noboru says....Oh dear, I wouldn't ask him his name. We haven't exchanged names. @_@ I give up. ; )

Boise has no Panda Expresses? That's a bummer. Panda Express is delicious.

Abigail (aka Mamatouille) said...

That is so funny! I think it's a cultural thing, too--maybe because my hubby is British and not Japanese I know he would ask personal questions if he chatted with someone for an hour. I'm with you, Kim--what did Ryu and the other guy actually talk about???

iwanagas life in japan said...

Hi Kim! We have never met but I am a foreign wife in Yokohama and I just wanted to say I have enjoyed reading about your experiences moving back to the US. In fact I'm from Sun Valley so to hear about your adventures going to Boise it makes me a bit homesick. Good luck with eh continuation of your new life an I look forward to reading more. We get back to Sun Valley several times a year so if you ever have the chance to come enjoy the area please let me know!

Kim said...

Hi Gina! That is too funny about Noburu too! Later Ryu DID say that he too would NEVER ask someone's name in that situation and that he DID NOT ask the fellow-student what he did for a living! LOL!

Abigail - That is really interesting about your hubby! The fact that Ryu is pretty introverted may be part of it as well...or not?!?!

Hi Carol - It's so nice to meet you! Thanks for commenting! I look forward to hearing more from you when you can! Please let us know when you come "home"!